Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay I am new to muzzle loading, what do you prefer, powder or pellets which give best consistancy and performance?

I use a CVA Optima Pro .50 cal

·
Registered
790 Posts
Powder is most consistant and better preformance. Pellets are less messy. For us as shooters it is a diff. of 1'' or 2" groups. If your shots are mostly under 100 yards it probably won't matter much. The main thing about pellets is to not compress them down so hard as to crunch the leading pellet in the barrel. Powder you pack down tighter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
pelets

I like pellets for hunting know for shooting powder works good i use cva for long time i had no problems with pellets and i use a 240 xtp works good for hunting i cut holes at hunderd yards with pellets know with my cheap buck horn 209 mag .

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
I also use pellets in my CVA hunterbolt Mag. never used powder CVA recommended Triple 7 pellets & powerbelt sabots so that is what I use

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Powder is most consistant and better preformance. Pellets are less messy. For us as shooters it is a diff. of 1'' or 2" groups. If your shots are mostly under 100 yards it probably won't matter much. The main thing about pellets is to not compress them down so hard as to crunch the leading pellet in the barrel. Powder you pack down tighter.
Well said. I go with the pellets because of the less messy part. I give up on accuracy a little but also I never hunt fields. Therefore my shots are typically within 50 yds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts