Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a good reasonbly priced treestand climber, I like to walk and I also use a ground blind. I was looking at the gorilla greyback climber on sportsmans guide $140.00 any advise good or bad thanks

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
never used em swear by summit.stands are like bows/rifles ,lots of loyalty to your favorite.I would suggest going to a big outdoor store ,that has the stands set up so you can see for yourself.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
The only thing I can say is I think Gorilla stands are heavier to haul in and out of the woods. The greyback has a max weight rating of 300 lbs. and weighs 27 lbs.

I have a gorilla climber but luckily I have a 4 wheeler to haul it around with, it's a great climber but it's heavy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been using an old Tree Lounge for about 15 years, it's gotta be the most comfortable climber available. I wouldn't use anything else.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Im like Joel I swear by my summit. I see alot more deer in my summit than I ever did in any of my other climbers. Last weekend I lowered my bow down and my backpack and had to drop the rope because I didn't have enough slack to tie it to my stand. I seen 3 does at 20 yards. I climbed all the way down the tree all the way to the bottom and they finally saw me. I have also sit all day in my summit I would have never thought about doing that in my other stands. The only problem I have had in my summit is staying awake. I am about your size sdgr22 and I would get the viper instead of the goliath its more compact and better for bowhunting. As for the gorialla greyback my uncle has one and its a heavy death trap in my opinion its extremly hard to climb and set up and not very comfortable. I would spend the extra money and get the summit it will run about 250 tax and all.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
I dont have any gorilla climbers. I would think they would be reliable but I have no experience with trying to climb a tree with one. I use a couple of the small gorilla hang-ons. I trust their reliabilty but there not very comfortable for any amount of time.

The heaviness issue would be a big thing for me. Im a scrawny little feller and go as light weight as I can on lugging a stand around.

My favorite stands right now would be a summit or an API. Lone wolf looks interesting, I just havent got past that high price tag yet to try one out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I love my Ol' Man climbing stand. It is fairly light to haul in and out, it has held up VERY well over the years, and the seat in it is so comfortable that I could sit in it forever.

Then again....I've never used any other climber either....got a good one on my first pick and havent needed to look around since.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have both a tree lounge and an ole man. The tree lounge in heavy and difficult to put on a tree. You also are limited to the trees you can put it on. You wont find it in many stores but mostly on treelounge.com. It is very very comfortable but very safe and somewhat inconvenient. The ole man I have is the big man version with a foot rest that can be swapped to a shooting rail. I use this one most of the time because it is lighter, easier to use and you aren't nearly as limited to the trees you can climb. They also make the ole man in an aluminum version now that is just as reliable but much lighter. My dad has had a summit for several years and still cant figure out how to put it together right to carry it, but likes it otherwise.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Summit is the only stand for me. It is so comfortable and solid in a tree, there is no give or wiggle at all.

Beaux, putting them together is a puzzle until you get it down. Tell him to stand up the seat on the cables and lay the cushion back opposite the cable. Then slide the base down into the seat, the carry straps attached to the base will pull through the seat, strap on the cushion for padding and you off.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a gorrilla greyback. It weighs 19 lbs(says so on box)Is very easy to climb with and stable after your set-up.Walk quite a ways in to where I hunt and do not feel it is to heavy.Borrowed a couple others to try before I bought one and the gorrilla was far easier and lighter.Especially for the price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts