Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would be a viable option for planting a logging road that runs through the woods. the road is pretty much under the canpoy the whole way and doesn't get much if any sunlight once the leaves are on.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
that throw and grow stuff.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Throw and Grow is 80% rye grass and 10% clover and rape.

It will grow green stuff, but you might get more for your money by mixing your own.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what do you suggest and can you no till plant. will being under the canopy hurt success rate? i'm seriously considering doing this for next spring but want it to be worthwhile. thanks for the input.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Easy Food

One of the easiets things to plant is Wheat. It is a decent food source for deer and turkey. You really can grow it about anywhere and it does not require you to till. If you have the option to, it will help make the growth better, but you can just walk with a sower and spread it down the road and it will easily grow.

Clover can be hard to get to grow. It requires a just right pH balance in the soil and also really needs to be tilled. It is a good food source but it requires a good bit of maintainence. I have four LARGE fields that are normally planted in Clover....it takes some money to do it when you factor in the Lime, fertilizer, gas (for tillers and such)....for a quick and easy plot....go with Wheat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
One of the easiets things to plant is Wheat. It is a decent food source for deer and turkey. You really can grow it about anywhere and it does not require you to till. If you have the option to, it will help make the growth better, but you can just walk with a sower and spread it down the road and it will easily grow.

Clover can be hard to get to grow. It requires a just right pH balance in the soil and also really needs to be tilled. It is a good food source but it requires a good bit of maintainence. I have four LARGE fields that are normally planted in Clover....it takes some money to do it when you factor in the Lime, fertilizer, gas (for tillers and such)....for a quick and easy plot....go with Wheat.
I agree, wheat might work or try fall/winter rye (not rye grass). Stuff is cheap, will grow about anywhere and the deer love it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Logging road food plots

I would not plant anything without tilling first even the throw an grow you need to loosen the soil especially since it's been packed down by trafic.

G

·
I contacted Brian to

I contacted Brian to make my vBulletin furmos pass the W3 validator. There were a handful of errors that needed to be fixed and he fixed everything. My furmos now pass the validator with flying colors. Brian was also very fast in finishing this task for me. I highly recommend him.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i tried a bioloic blend of wheat rye chickory turnips and a slew of other stuff in a verry low light spot i like to bow hunt it has a very low canopy and it grew awesome when i just tossed it out of the bag i have about 6-9 inche tall sprouts of this stuff in 1-2 weeks however, it was only trafficked by the deer and nothing else so you may be able to just take a rake or something outthere and do that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts