Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This weekend my little brother who has gone hunting with me a few times came with me Saturday night. I had hung a stand mid day Friday at a new location so I was hopeful we would at least see some deer. I hung the stand in a cluster of trees that had kind of all grown into one, and on two of the protruding trunks I hung hand on stands facing two directions. It was nothing special, just a place I hoped to see a lot of deer since he is only 12 years old and still learning a lot. I rained most of that morning and finally stopped around 1pm. Being a 12 yr old and impatient as can be, we headed to the stands at 2:30pm wanting to catching deer moving after the storm. I was impressed with how well he was able to sit and remain quiet and for the most part still. We sat there for 3 hours without seeing anything, this is what i was afraid would happen. He began to get antsy and I had to tell him we were going to see something, it was getting to be that time at dusk when the deer move, about ten minutes after I had him put his crossbow up on this branch (a big reason for the stand since he isn't the steadiest free hand shooter) two does cam walking up the hill towards our trees. He was the first one to see them and gave me a quick tap and point as the deer were already 50 yds away and closing. I slowly turned around and saw him aiming at the biggest doe as she came by on a trail 25 yds off to his left. I just watched and whispered "right behind the shoulder," with that he gave a verbal bleat to stop her and pulled the trigger. His shot struck her in the left shoulder blade, about two inches too far forward, but the 100 grain Muzzy broke her shoulder and found the top of the heart. She went down within sight. We waited several minutes as the young doe that had accompanied this doe was still very confused as to what had just happened. I got down and allowed my brother to work on his own to look for his arrow, and the place where he had shot her. Impressively he directed me right to the stump where she had been standing when the arrow hit her, and he immediately picked up a very good blood trail. It was a good weekend for me in the woods, hope all of you were able to get out...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Now that is a great hunting story!!!! Congrats to the both of you on a successful hunt. Patience has paid off for the young hunter.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Congratulations !!! Excellent story...

·
Registered
185 Posts
That is fantastic. That is a day that he will remember for the rest of his life. Nice deer and great story. :thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts