Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know who makes the shortest LOP on a youth rifle 223? I think my boy is ready to go to the range and shoot but I cant find a rifle that will fit him. His LOP is About 9 inches the shortest one i can find is 11 3/4 its a NEFsuperlight 223. I know a gun smith can cut the stock down I just didnt really want to have to do that. Or do you think he will be able to shoot the one I found??? I just hate to order it if it wont fit.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
savage makes some nice youth rifles.there is the model 10 in diffrent calibers 223, 243,and some of these come in a scope package.I believe they also make a youth model in the model 16 also.May i suggest the 243 if hes gonna hunt the difference in recoil would be something he could handle and now he has a better hunting rnd.

G

·
big boy guns are right around 13", youth 12". if his lop is that small then weight could also be an issue. if this is the case then shooting off of sand bags should take care of both.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes weight is a problem and he will be shooting off some sort of rest. I want the 223 to keep the recoil to a minimum. So do you think the 11 3/4 LOP rifle i found will work?

G

·
the two posts confli

the two posts conflict. If we have a 14 tiorllin dollar economy, 3% of the economy for one quarter is 14 tiorllin divided by 4, times 3% which equals a little over 100 Billion. If the 125,000 cars caused 100 Billion in GDP then each CFC car sale generated 100 Billion divided by 125,000 in new GDP, which equals $800,000 in new GDP per car sale. If that's true, CFC was one hell of an economic success and we showed all bow down to the economic wizards in Congress who thought up the program.Check my math to make sure I didn't lose a decimal place, but I don't think the opinions referenced in both comment 5 and comment 6 can be right. It might be a .3% increase in GDP, but that would still be an 80K increase in GDP for each incremental sale Edmunds claims were caused by CFC. I doubt that CFC purchases averaged 80K per car. Perhaps Edmunds is wrong and there were really more like 350,000 incremental purchases as Kary seems to suggest (although some may be borrowed from future quarters.) Rate this comment: 0 0

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK thanks Ronn for all the info. Now for a debatable question....what do yall think about deer hunting with a 223? My opinion is if you use the right ammo and you can make a good clean shot, I think it would be ok. But thats just me! I dont think im gonna let him shoot a deer this year were going to practice practice practice, then do a little varmit hunting. Maybe next year he will be ready to sit in the shooting house and try and kill a deer.

G

·
Nice picture. I've e

Nice picture. I've enojeyd all your pics.It may be his style, but I personally think Volk's pictures tend to be a bit too washed out for my tastes. I think you'd look even better if your pretty face was more defined.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Caliber choices for young shooters

I know that Remington and Federal now have special low recoil loads available. You may want to use one of those so that you have the option of full power calibers later. The other option is ask around to see if you know someone that is a reloader for rifle cartridges. It is very easy to load lighter than standard for new shooters.

Karl

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
in my opinion that is a bad idea.The 223 is marginal for deer at best,keep in mind this is going to be his first deer and his excitement level is going to be off the charts.Now your asking him to remain sniper calm and make a perfect shot with a marginal caliber at best.Thats why i recommened the 243,i agree with ron i would shoot the heck out of a 22 then start with the 243.You could use a lead sled at first if recoil is a concern,Just my opinion.IF you do with the 223 federal makes a 60gr nosler partition which would give you the most penetration.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
The .223 can kill a deer but I would never suggest using it to hunt with, the risks are too high for only wounding the animal and not killing it.
I would suggest the .243 or larger caliber.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts