Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from my best hunting trip ever. I was down in the Florida panhandle hunting some hogs . It was my first time, and now I am hooked. My uncle told me to bring a big rifle because hogs are really tough. I shrugged it off a bit, I had seen a hog killed with one shot from a gammo air rifle on t.v. so I thought my .270 would be no problem. Thats when I learned how tough those things are. I shot one right behind the shoulder at roughly 65 yards, and it acted like nothing happened. I was suprised to say the least. I used the same ammo I use when I hunt deer, so I figured it would work on a hog. So I got another chance at it, so I shot it again, and this time I hit it in the same area, and it turned towards us and started running at me, so I head shot it and it stopped him, but he still wasn't dead with a chunk of his head blown off. I walked up to it, and finished him off. I am going to try some new ammo so it doesn't happen again. But I now am a huge fan of hog hunting.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Sounds WAY exciting! Hey, I have relatives in Florida. Wonder if they hunt hogs. Do you think a 300WSM bolt would do the job, or would I be better off with slugs in a 12 gauge semi-auto?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it would do really good. two of the guys were using 45-70's that they hand loaded, and one guy was using a 12 gauge with sabots. The 12 gauge did okay, the 45-70's did better than my 270, but they kicked liked mules. I think a 300 wsm would be sweet, I wont go again without trying new bullets in the 270, or get a bigger rifle. I have a 30-06 I would take, but I like how the 45-70's did, and would love to try it with a shotgun, up close and personal.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
unfortunately Ronn they are coming your way!
I have seen about 50 here running across the road midday I have heard that there are about 350 out of the park here & are breeding in the wild & these are purebread Russian Boar not ferrels
going to do some scouting/hunting after Christmas

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
unfortunately Ronn they are coming your way!
I have seen about 50 here running across the road midday I have heard that there are about 350 out of the park here & are breeding in the wild & these are purebread Russian Boar not ferrels
going to do some scouting/hunting after Christmas
were in NH is that? iv heard rumors, but nothingf ever confermed. id be game for hog hunting. pluss it would give me an ecscuse to by a 30-06.

·
Registered
168 Posts
don't give up on your .270 just try a tougher bullet. What bullet were you using? Try a partition or any of the solid copper bullets. If using ballistic tips or lead nose you can't shoot in the shoulders as the bullets will just blow up and not penitrate. With these you have to shoot behind front shoulder and hit lungs and heart. I saw a ballistic tip blow up on a whitetail shoulder this year first time i seen one fail, it was out of a 243 travelling 3100fps and shot was about 15 yards, blew up on shoulder/leg and never made it to the boiler room.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I was using a 130 grain Hornaday super shock tipped bullets. They have been excellent for whitetails, but I am gonna do some testing before I go again with a few different rounds. Its true that wild hogs are expanding. They destroy the ecosystem they are in. The area I was hunting didn't even require a hunting tag, or a limit on the number of hogs you can take. In Georgia they are a plague in some areas. I am no hog expert, but the some of the guys I was hunting with said they have started to spread farther north up to Maryland, but I have no way to confirm it. I can confirm it in far east of Gladwin, and into Arenac counties here in Michigan, they had 13 hogs escape a game ranch in 2006, they inhabit the Kawkawlin river flooding. It is really wet and hard to get into, but they are estimating the numbers in the 90-120 range. One female hog can produce 3 litters a year of up to 13 babies each litter, so the math is not on out side.

·
Registered
602 Posts
i use the Hornady 130 gr SST in .270for hogs also. usually puts them down. the best bullet i have used on them, Winchester doesn't make anymore. wish they did. it was the 140gr. Fail Safe. shot placement on a hog is very critical especially on the large hogs. 300lbs+.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts