Deer Hunting Forums banner

Lead or copper rifle bullets?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  onehorse 
#1 ·
Gentleman, I have a question to ask all of you rifle shooters out there, What do you perfer? lead bullets or copper? I have used lead bullets for many years on whitetails and had good luck with them but last year I tried a Barnes bullet and it to performed very well also.

#2 ·
I've used both with equally good results. I handload everything, but early-on used lots of factory stuff as well as handloads. I'm pretty convinced that bullet placement trumps bullet material every time (assuming you are using bullets that are designed for the game you are hunting). The last two bucks that I killed were both shot through the heart at about 150 yards and about 20 yards with Barnes TTSX bullets out of a 300 WSM. Both ran about 40 yards before falling. Neither of them was aware of my presence when I shot, so they weren't pumped up with adrenalin. Those were good hits and good kills for sure, but I've had faster (spectacular, really) kills with high lung shots using just about every kind of bullet out there. The Ballistic Tip is a fantastic deer-killer that I've had great results using on deer-size game.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.