Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
ronn they're good for a short sit for me, but not very comfortable for long sits. I'm looking at Dick's sporting goods after X-mass for a nice comfy 17' er. Couldn't remember the brand sorry. I need something with more room and a comfy seat.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have two of the ameri-steps both buddy stands one is older and one was x-mas last year. the new one is in the woods now and I have been doing mods to the older one (making it more like the new one) quike pins for the ladders, anti dig bar for the ground (helps prevent lader from just pushing on in the ground and becoming loose or disconect from the stand.)adding new straps and strings. Just renewing in general. but I do like them both. I do intend to make a back rest for more support on the back for those long sets though. will probably make one that will move from one stand to the other.

·
Registered
283 Posts
$40 is a great buy for these. I have 2 of these and they are pretty good stands. I added 5 ft ladder extensions on each and added another stabelizer bar.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Forgot to add that I do not use the pins that come with it as I find they creek when it gets cold. I put the ladders together and opened up the holes to accept 1.5" long 7/16 galvinized bolts with lock washers/nuts. I also drilled 1 extra hole in each ladder section and bought trailer hitch locks. Send the hitch lock pin through the hole and hack saw off about 1" of the pin and place lock on the pin. This locks each ladder section together. I do this to deter thieves. If someone wants to steal my stand then there really going to have to work at it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I would mabey look into buying the metal and making myself if you dont weld take the metal up to a welding shop and they will make it for you. ( you might have to get another tube that will fit over the ladder one though and sleeve it to fit over than inside if you or they cant crimp the ends of the tubing.) no big deal and realy easier to make.( take one of your ladder sections and the new tubing then they can build off the one you have. with all tube inhand I could make it in 15 mins or so. most welding shops have a 40 dollar minumum charge but could be less or have a buddy take it to work and weld it up for free.

·
Registered
53 Posts
there's a thought but deer season is closed here as of last weekend so i got time to find them. i contacted ameristep. they say 16' ladder stands but thats to the very top. its more like 14 to the foot plateform.
The stand height is usually from the ground to the seat. My most comfortable stand is my tower. This has a countoured seat with a full back which swivels 360. You have to be careful you don't fall asleep, as it is very comfortable for a stand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ronn, I simply love these stands. Have 2 of them and will be getting another one for my son and I. Have these 2 and we also use climbers. Great when You find a place with good deer sign. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My buddy uses ladder stands, but as the others stated they become uncomfortable. Additionally, I like hang-ons or climbers better due to being able to get higher and in a variety of positions. I've picked them up at the end of a season at Wally as well marked down to help build up my stand locations.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts