Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are a couple of shots of the newest knife I'm doing. The buckeye burl is pretty cool on this one. This knife goes to PA and will be used mostly for bears. It is a larger knife so bears watch out! :vs_laugh:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
HM those Knifes are Awesome! Have you done any handles using antlers?

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
very nice HM, looks like a great BEAR tool...

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tks all, GFD2 no horn/antler yet. I seem to migrate to woods so far. I think antler will prove to be more difficult to work with and may require a book purchase to help me. I have to be honest, yesterday I was working on two knives all day, one for me and one for a friend in PA. I made an error on my knife resulting in a knife worth 150.00 to a 35.00 one. What makes me mad is, it had some the best wood I currently have. I'm happy with the PA knife and almost used two different woods on it but ended up with the solid one piece of the buckeye burl. Hopefully, by the weekend I'll be working on some leather for it. I'm on vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Someday I would like to heat treat bar stock steel and start from there. Basic tools is all that is required. I remember when BB and myself were making our first knives. I still have that knife and it is pretty basic looking.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will post a picture of the les than acceptable area, and you can decide as I would sell it. I have more in the steel than the 35.00 but something is better than 0. :vs_sob:

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
HM, are you making your own sheaths?

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BB, yes, I'll be working on it tomorrow night and Monday. I'm thinking another grey one with a bear on it. Tks for the comments. I took the pictures at night and with the flash a lot of the color didn't show up in the wood. I'll try to post a better shot later.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Couple of picture of the mistake knife. I had high hopes for the wood combination and lets just say the spacer ends didn't line up on top, Ouch!!! The third picture is the PA bear knife, I like how the picture came out. I know the reason for the mistake was trying to do two knives at the same time so that won't happen again.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
I don't know HM even that mistake Knife looks very nice! Love the wood on both knives

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I agree with gfd, both look like great knives.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got back tonight from a day trip down to Amish country in SE Ohio. I picked up some nice bulk leather in 9-10 oz for knives. Now I can get working............:vs_sob:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts