Deer Hunting Forums banner

juvenile turkey hunt

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  00buck 
#1 ·
i am going to take member 10 point on the juvenile turkey next saturday. (march 24) i thought i would only have 1 place of private land to take him to but due to a good guy i work with we have 2 options. we got a 47 acre place we were planning on going to anyway but now with the permission the guy at work gave me if there are no turkeys at option 1 we are going to head up the road to my work buddies place. i think he has about 80 acres. and he is covered up with turkeys. i would rather just go to his place first but when i asked him i said if we have no luck down the road from him than do you mind if we ride up your place. luckily he said sure. then he went on to tell me where they always are and how to get there. good dude. i think its because we are trying to hook the young dude up with his first gobbler. wish us some good hunting luck. hopefully we will have the first turkey pic for our gallery upon our return.

we ought to have a prize for that. considering its gone empty for so long.

#3 ·
well well well... warm weather. a perfect morning. we heard about 7 or so gobblers on our way to where we were going to set up. we were excited to hear them in a talkative mood at least. we put our decoys out, get situated in the wood line and start hitting the calls a few times. we aint been there 15 mins and a nice mature gobbler flys down off the roost and faces our decoys. its about a 30 yard shot for the young fellow. he was hot to cuz he landed in a full strut. the struted lasted until he spotted gun movement and then it looked our way, stopped strutin, but did not fly away. if it had not have spotted us we prob would have got it a little closer before we shot. we told him to go ahead and shoot before it got scared and flew off. he missed though. i think by how the bird reacted he hit low to very low. it flew off about 60 yds over another ridgeline.

oh well you cant ask for anything more than what we got on this hunt. a shot at a nice bird at a not so bad distance. got on the bird quick to. if we would have got this bird we would have been back in the truck and on our way home in less than an hour.

the birds just shut up talking after daybreak. so we did not have another chance to get close to one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.