• yes

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • no

Votes: 4 44.4%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
what exactly is a harvest food plot compared to a food plot?

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I think the question was, any difference between a baited/feeder and food plot kill. If you're hunting over either one then there's no difference in my mind. I'm not too big on hunting over either one, but thats just me. I really think there is a giant difference for the hunter that bags his/her deer one on one vs pulling one into a baited spot. Then there's the question how far away from a bait/plot do you hunt and not call it that, or does anyone really care? I know one thing, every hunter has to face up to this question sometime. If there was a prize and two equal deer were shot my vote would always go to the hunter who harvested it without bait/foodplot involved to award the prize. I do separate natural food sources like acorns and even farm fields from hunters planting/baiting solely for the purpose of shooting animals. I might have went a bit farther than the origional question, but maybe ronn knew he'd draw some additional discussion on this one.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
pretty much on the money hm. there are nutrition plots and plots to shoot over. two different animals. some places they feed the wildlife in the rough times or they run feeders all the time some folks hunt over them some don't. so if you do a nutrition plot or run a feeder but don't hunt over it its a little different than doing so.

it comes down to one's rationalizing or reconciling it in their own mind. as i said i got no problem with hunting over a feeder or not hunting over a feeder. its was just a question to think about.

·
Registered
799 Posts
OK, its just the word harvest(emphasized) that threw me.

It is different in Illinois, basically because hunting over bait is illegal. and hunting over a food plot is not. go figure
ethically, I beleive you should be allowed to hunt over bait just as you can hunt over a planted plot an agricultural field a stand of nut laden oak trees or a decoy oooozing of estrus. we basically are allways hunting over some form of bait. regardless of how it gets there it is inherently the same.

·
Registered
799 Posts
In the core essence of it all, I am in the field do one thing. Acquire venison. legally, ethically and cleanly. everything else, without constraints, adds to the greatness of hunting.And it doesnt matter if its a deer just meandering down a trail or one chewing on the core of an apple I finished a half hour ago. deers, deer.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I started to go down the trail of most bait hunters in all reality forgot or never learn how to really hunt, I have seen this with my good buddy up north. Has returned to scouting and hunting in the more traditional way and loves it. There may no difference in the outcome of the hunt but one of the hunters truly earned their harvest, the other simply shot a lured in animal. All i'm trying to say is I see a more traditional old style hunter vs many today that have transformed into foodplot/baiting style of hunting. I'm not downing anyone who hunts legal, however, there is a difference. I can't see Ole Fred Bear sitting over a pile of corn, but he may have scouted a thick swamp and discovered a nice used trail with rub/scrape lines and ended up shooting a nice buck. I clearly see a difference. Its up to each to make their choise!:wink:

·
Registered
388 Posts
I choose Yes, there is a difference, although there is no black and white hear other that what is legal in the location the hunting is occuring. I'll try to explain this. In my opinion, hunting over a bait pile of corn does not take much work nor could a pile of corn occur naturally. Planting a food plot usually takes a lot more time, thinking, and sweat. Deer eat things that grow. Whether its a plot of alfalfa, corn, wheat, or even a stand of oak that was planted years ago with the purpose of feeding deer. For me, its all about the expierence and the adventure that led up to the harvest. Working on a food plot seems like it would add to the end result ( I have never done this nor do I have the land or resources to), hunting over a bait pile doesn't seem natural nor rewarding. Thats just my thoughts and feelings.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I voted Yes, I do believe there's a difference but only in a technical way so I could have answered yes or no really.
I think food plots are safer food sources for deer to eat from,, however from a hunting viewpoint, they both serve the same purpose and that is to lure Deer into a "killing zone".
I personally find it hard to accept that this is called hunting but I also have to say If it's a legal option where hunters want to use bait or food plots then I say more power to them and best of luck to them As long as they're hunting within the laws of the areas they hunt in, that's all that should matter.
I also agree with huntingman on, if a deciding vote was based on one versus the other I'll always vote for the harvest that occured away from the bait source.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I personally think a food plot is to keep deer in the area and a feeder to keep deer in a specific spot. Personally I don't like the fact that people hunt over feeders or fenced in game farms. I think it's unethical and if you hunt that way please don't take it personal, it's just my belief.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great question and decussion,I have discovered that I prefer to hunt in the woods, not saying that hunting a food plot is a bad thing, I just love trying to figure out how the deer are moving. I think most hunters would agree that deer trails all lead to someplace. Eventually it all boils down to the same thing. I know that most if not all hunters use soap that kills odor........is this wrong........no......If you think about it, we all use different types of "bait"......anything to give us that edge.........I believe that hunting should be done ethically and legally and we should abide by these codes regardless of where we hunt. cdg"??"

·
Registered
95 Posts
Good point cgraves, I never thought about it like that
I use Buck bomb and vanilla for scent. But I still personally believe there is a difference in scent and bait. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought if deer had a constant food supply they will be more to eat at night under the cover of dark. And I do no for a fact that you set the time for a feeder, and deer will be aware of that and come around when the feeder is getting close to going off.

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
some good points guys.

scouting is one of my favorite parts of hunting. finding that right spot and working it and moving to another pre-scouted stand if the activity has died off.

sweat equity is another good point about plots but a guy does have to work to pay for the corn and still has to get it out and maintain it, without a guaranty the deer will even use it.

kudos guys for keeping the discussion civil.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Hunting for me has evolved into a simple game of chess. That's what keeps me in the woods hunting. This is always a good subject and everyone gave good accounts!

·
Registered
602 Posts
i'm lucky enough to see both sides of this. i hunt Florida and Georgia. Florida you can put a feeder right under your stand if you want. Georgia , we cannot hunt within 200 yds and line of sight of a feeder. I plant food plots on my lease in Georgia. mostly winter plots. oats, rye and buckwheat. I hunt the woods anyways there. never sit right on a food plot. but being able to hunt in 2 places that have different rules, i still do better in Georgia. Have yet to harvest anything sitting right near a feeder( in florida) i say the states should make it legal to hunt over bait, but leave it up to the property owner or manager wheither or not they want to use them. like in Georgia, it comes up for vote every year, and is never passed. but Wal-mart will sell out of corn on gun opener. they write alot of tickets for hunting over bait $325.00 a pop. i think in some places it is more economy driven to not hunt over bait.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I’m new to this forum

Hello, I just became a part of this community here and I would like to be a part of it. Just love the environment here. Good work by the mods and each member here.

I appreciate the quality of posts posted by everyone and plan I can do that for you all too.
I hope to visit here often.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts