Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have finally convinced a landowner to lease me a small section of river land that is probably one of the best spots to kill a big deer in Oklahoma. This general location is well known for producing giant deer, and every year many great bucks come from here. I have never paid a dime to hunt, and thought I never would...but this is different. I think I would be paying for potential...lots of it. I have been on the place and checked it for tracks and sign and it looks amazing. The only problem is that for this relatively small spot the guy want about $25/acre. That is insane! It is an unbelievable spot, but I don't know if I can make myself justify that amount of money. Maybe I am just behind the times...is this a reasonable price?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks HM, just trying to justify the expense. I would love to finally have an opportunity to shoot a giant whitetail, and I think this place would give me that. My wife is the one fighting me hard on this...I have to prove to her it's worth it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok...cut him a check today for the rest of this year and next year's hunting season. I hate to pay to hunt, but definitely plan on getting my money's worth in antler.:yes: I plan on hunting out there hard the next three weekends, and then season's over.:thumbdown:

Hopefully I can get some stands hung this weekend...just have to come up with a good story to get out of christmans stuff!! It will be interesting to see if all the stuff he has told me about deer movement on this place is true.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
wowsers!! Great deer.

I dont like the pay to hunt either but if you are on a lease you know the other guys your hunting with, you can manage the land however you want because of fewer hunters.

I know quite a few folks that lease land in Kentucky for around $15 an acre and then they have to waste vacation days and drive forever just to hunt it. I would rather pay more money and not have to drive so far to hunt.

If I had Oklahoma deer land close to me that produced good deer I dont think I would have an issue with paying for it if thats what I wanted.

You can always move to TN and pay $5 an acre!!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I ended up leasing this by myself. I had a couple buddies I was considering sharing it with, but decided against that. Kinda disappointed them, but I think it is better this way so I can control the pressure. I told them I could still take them out for a weekend sometime, and I think that helped. Of course it cost me three times as much money...but I think I will have three times the chance to kill a giant this way.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I spent my first day on the place on saturday. After looking the place over a little more I found a spot where four heavy trails came together and set up my ground blind there and also put a trail camera nearby. I sat there all afternoon and evening. I saw a couple small bucks, and one bigger buck at nearly dark, but the big one was well out of range. I couldn't tell much about the rack, but his body size was impressive. I think I may need to get a tripod stand as the trees where I want my stand are too small to hang one. I think if I was up a little higher I may be able to see more of the brushy area that I am hunting. The wind switched halfway through the evening, and it was too late to move, so I just sat it out. Ended up being a bad idea because I heard one blow directly downwind after the switch. Maybe next weekend the wind will be better. It was blowing a steady 20 with gusts up to 30 on saturday.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
sounds good just get it in writing that your hunting the property exclusivly otherwise who knows how many people hes leasing to

1 - 20 of 20 Posts