Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There, I opened the rotten worm can. Be nice guys , I'm just pondering the expansion of my hunting and bow hunting is about all I have left. I shot years ago (a lot of years) in fact I never held one of the new compound bows. Back in the day doc sampson showed up at the Susquehanna bowman with this new "modern" bow. of course he was poked fun at a lot until we all lined up to shoot the 80 yard target. He just stood there and watched our rainbows arc toward the 4ft round target and every once in a while the guys with sights would hit it, the rest of us just bent our aluminum arrows. Then he stepped up and his arrows rainbowed but nothing like ours and he hit the target 3 out of 4. You can guess who had the last laugh!
Anyways anyone else willing to admit they use a crossbow and how do they work?
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Daddus.... no question is stupid on here! Yes, most states consider cross bow hunting as Archery hunting. However, Crossbows and Compound bows are two totally different weapons. I have never personally shot a crossbow... but it looks to be relatively easy.... correct me if i'm wrong fellas....

·
Administrator
5,711 Posts
I agree with the others, A Crossbow is a Bow no matter how you look at it, a lot of states allow hunters to use crossbows and many dont,
Just make sure you check the local laws in the areas you plan on using the crossbow...

·
Registered
37 Posts
:mellow:I have recently purchased a crossbow because of shoulder injury. It is easier on some things such as looking through a scope rather than using pins, but it also has it down falls such as having to be more precise on yardage. When I used a compound bow it was more forgiving on yardage compared to a crossbow. You would think it would be easier because of the speed. I shoot a crossbow now but I honestly think it took alot out of bowhunting for me. But anything to get the back strap!!!!! GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
97 Posts
the thing about crossbows is theyve been around longer than any other form of bow. and if you really want to get into it, is the compound bow really a primitive weapon?

·
Registered
773 Posts
here in ky crossbow is divided from bow hunting it has its own season. i think a cross bow as more of a gun only because of how it fires, yes still a string, shoots a bolt, but has a stock and trigger, in my opinion they are great. but i dont feel a crossbow has the yardage a compound bow does but that might be just my cheap hoyt crossbow. im sure the newer berret compound crossbows are much much better than what i got but i cant shell out 600 bucks on one either.

·
Registered
773 Posts
yeah i nkow its unreal what people are spending on equipment these days. my bow hunting from the start was a proline my dad give me, then i bought a high country at the time i had the proline then high country was the mathews of today (well here in ky anyways) but i was just 4 years ago i got it and only paid 150 for it, but time got hard n i let it go now im shooting a really old bear bow (its a loner from a friend and not even my bow lol)and i have harvested two deer with it this year. so i think im safe to say ya dont need a 1000 buck in a bow, you need practice time with and hunting equipment you use to be sucssefull

·
Registered
394 Posts
In RI you have to have some type of disability that prevents you from using archery gear to use a crossbow. I think it is to similar to a rifle myself and would prefer people use traditional or compounds it weeds out some of the wanna be archer's as well.

·
Registered
773 Posts
In RI you have to have some type of disability that prevents you from using archery gear to use a crossbow. I think it is to similar to a rifle myself and would prefer people use traditional or compounds it weeds out some of the wanna be archer's as well.
same in ky if you have a disability, you can get a pass from fish and game to crossbow during the regular archery season, but for the rest there is a crossbow season.
i have been seeing more and more people picking up crossbows here because they dont like bow hunting and fish and game has cut back on the regular modern gun season so its push those who are tring to fill tags into other methods of harvesting.

·
Premium Member
3,347 Posts
NH is the same if used during archery season
You can use one during rifle season but you use your rifle tag
to me & only my opinion it sould stay that way or have it's own season. I am not putting down the crossbow but to me it is more of like a rifle then a bow & you can say that a compound is more advanced then a long bow or recurve & that is true but I had to hold mine back this year 2x for 5 -10 mins & I knew that I was not going to be able to do it a third time on this deer I could rest my crossbow all day long & scope the deer & pull the trigger

·
Registered
55 Posts
Crossbow Hunting

I use to hunt with a compound but due to permanent back problems I sold my gear because I couldn't draw anymore. I've been thinking about crossbow hunting so I don't loose any time in the outdoors. It's legal here in PA so I don't have a problem with crossbow hunting for anyone.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
For anyone who has ever done both, it is easy to see that there are no major advantages for crossbow over a modern compound. I would rather use my compound bow than my cross bow its easier and safer. That said anyone who wants to use a cross bow should go for it. They are still a primitive weapon as they give you now significant advantage in distance.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
True the crossbow has no distance advantage but it is not a bow.It is cocked and ready like a gun and is shouldered like a rifle.I have nothing against crossbow hunters but lets keep are facts straight here do not compare it to bowhunting.In bowhunting half the battle is getting into position to draw,sometimes your busted and this is not possible.It takes thousands of arrows to learn muscle memory and backtension with a compound to be a proficent archer.Enjoy your crossbow but dont compare the two.Apples&oranges.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
I will have to disagree a bit here. Some think the crossbow should be legal in gun seasons or muzzleloading seasons only. I would argue that the crossbow is closer to compound bows than ML rifles and therefor should be legal in any archery season. The fact that it shoots a fletched bolt, fancy name for short arrow and is tipped with a broadhead, powered from compressed limbs makes them a bow. I remember the same argument when compounds replaced recurves, yes I'm that old, and before that recurves replaced long bows and same argument. I do agree that if legal shoot it! Just for the record, I don't own a crossbow.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Im not against the crossbow in any season.If they pass it in new york for archery season thats fine with me.I was just stating that i dont believe you can compare it to bowhunting.Hey someday with my neck i might need to shoot one down the road.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.