Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, all the drawing results for antelope licenses and special deer and elk permits are completed. I have three good friends who were drawn for premier elk hunting districts - two of these have successful drawing rates of around 12%, and one of those guys has been putting in for that district for 17 years. That's in the Missouri Breaks where the biggest elk in the state are taken - and there are lots of them. Oh, I almost forgot the "bad luck/no luck" part. I got drawn for nothing, zilch, nada, zero. Not only that, but the antelope dictrict I put in for has a drawing success rate of 95%!!! So, would you call that "bad luck" or "no luck"?
I can still hunt deer and elk - just not in the "trophy" (limited hunters-many elk/deer) areas, and I can buy an over-the-counter doe antelope tag or two for meat hunts. And I guess the good news is that I have gained yet another bonus point for next year's drawing.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I dont know that I would say it was no luck or bad luck, you still have the oppertunity, to hunt. and you do have next year.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Well, all the drawing results for antelope licenses and special deer and elk permits are completed. I have three good friends who were drawn for premier elk hunting districts - two of these have successful drawing rates of around 12%, and one of those guys has been putting in for that district for 17 years. That's in the Missouri Breaks where the biggest elk in the state are taken - and there are lots of them. Oh, I almost forgot the "bad luck/no luck" part. I got drawn for nothing, zilch, nada, zero. Not only that, but the antelope dictrict I put in for has a drawing success rate of 95%!!! So, would you call that "bad luck" or "no luck"?
I can still hunt deer and elk - just not in the "trophy" (limited hunters-many elk/deer) areas, and I can buy an over-the-counter doe antelope tag or two for meat hunts. And I guess the good news is that I have gained yet another bonus point for next year's drawing.

Not to be too philosophical but sometimes what appears to be bad luck can be the best thing that could happen to you. Just maybe because you are not on one of the premier hunts you will be somewhere else that allows you to do something extraordinary.

For example this past season I lost access to one of my greatest ever honey holes and because of that I was hunting another area and killed the best buck I have ever taken.

So good luck to you.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the well-wishes. I'm really only kidding about feeling unlucky. I consider myself very fortunate to be living in a state with SO much opportunity for great hunting. We have eleven different big game animals that can be hunted here (that's even more than in Alaska), and many of them can be hunted with over-the-counter tags. It's pretty awesome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts