Deer Hunting Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
I would absolutely recomend the .243 win. My son has hunted with one since he was 6 yrs. old (he is 13 now)and has averaged 8 to 10 deer a year with it. He killed his personal best last year deer wise and shot distance wise. 8pt 208 lbs. 198 yards and the deer took a dirt nap right there in his tracks. Since then he has made me video most of our hunts so he can watch himself on action.

I was recently with one of my buddies (texas) and he shot a doe with a .243 and we ended up tracking it for about a good 300 yards and still never found it, even found pools of blood, with lung tissue in it. his neighbor found it the next day, it was a good lung shot but just didn't cause enough damage to bring it down quickly. i'd recommend a bigger caliber just cause i like to walk up to my deer right where i shot it not chase it 300 yards and have meat go bad. But that's just my one experience around .243.

I use a .30-06 to avoid the problem.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.