Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a bowhunter for a long time, and have been very comfortable with my setup for many years now (probably ~8-9yrs). I WAS thinking about getting into a new bow for this coming year. I went over to the bow shop yesterday, and was shocked to see some of the prices on bows. I guess I haven't kept up with things that much and didn't realize that a good setup will cost close to $1000?!! WOW...My first thought was ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? There is no way I will spend that much money on a bow, and actually think that kind of pricing for a bow is crazy.

Sorry...just needed to vent a little after seeing that.:ranting:

The last set up I got into cost me ~$300.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Yeah Ive noticed the same thing... Thats why im still shooting an older Hoyt.. Its still accurate and in good shape..

Boy it sure is nice how some of those new bows shoot though.. All smooth and quiet and lightning quick.. Its just the price tag that keeps getting me.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My current bow is a Browning striker and I think I bought it in 2000. I have no complaints with the bow, and it is fairly accurate and quiet, but it has shot several thousand shots, and I have no idea how the limbs hold up after years and years of shooting. It has fairly thick limbs and a single cam on bottom. The limbs and main body of the bow are in good shape I think (no visible damage or cracks) and I get it tuned up at least every two years. I think I will just continue to shoot this bow as long as I can feel comfortable shooting it. I just don't want the whole thing to fly apart on me someday. Maybe I will take the old guy up on his offer when he said he could teach me how to make my own long bow.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
My Mathews Q2XL (2003 model I think) went out at just under $1200.00 after all the goodies were added. I expect to pay a bit more for the next new set up not that I enjoy it! Price tags are nasty! My son's bow a 2008 Bass Pro model Toxik was still $600-650 set up. This was really just a mid priced bow. He does like it and it is fast and quiet...But guess who made the investment? Right now I'd still stick with a single cam set up if i were buying new. I like a solid draw stop and no cam creep. Dual cam set-ups don't give me that.:wink:

·
Registered
190 Posts
i agree totally with the single cam i didnt look around enough when i was buying and bought a dual cam and then i shot a single cam and wish i would have waited abought it i am thinking about selling my bowtech gaurdian to get a matthews solo.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I bought my Mathews Z light used for $300 bucks and plan on shooting it from now on. I started with a Bear Whitetail hunter then went to a Jennings T star and when I shot the Mathews Solo Cam I new I had my bow. I just don't see any reason I would want to change.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I got my mathews MQ32 fully loaded with a case for 350 secondhand .I will shoot that till it blows up

·
Registered
55 Posts
If I had more time to work at it I'd go back to a recurve like the one I started with. Prices on everything is out of site. Though I'm looking for a high-line bow myself, I have to agree with huntingsoldier.:coffee: Bear's Truth2 was designed with a special purpose. The big name bow makers may have some serious competition If we hunters ever realize what a good investment it might be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts