Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently use a 295gr hollowpoint Powerbelts with 2-50gr 777 pellets. I use a TC Omega and can hold groups capable of hitting a deer's vital area out to 125 yards. I am confident the gun could shoot further but I am not confident at that range. Looking for general feedback on what loads others are using and there overall confidence level with there load/bullet combo's.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
i tried the powerbelts out a couple seasons and could never get tight groups. the hornady xt's were always very accurate out of that gun which was a knight. i now have the t/c triumph and my load is 2 50gr pellets and a t/c shockwave. very good groups. i have a couple hunting buds at work that have the omega and shoot that same load. they are happy with their groups also. i tried the powerbelts out because they looked so easy to load but just could never get the accuracy.

i would try the t/c shockwave and see what you group at 150 yds. maybe it will build your confidence with it

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. I have heard good things about the TC Shockwave bullets. Have you tried the bonded bullets? I heard they are better on CXP3 category animals (elk,moose etc) and are overkill on CXP2 game. (deer,antelope,black bear)

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have also used the power belt 295 grs as well as the 348 grs and have had good results but that said where i hunt in northeastern wis , i dont get much more than a 75 yd shot , if i lived in another more open county or state , i would have to experiment with the sabots which i have never used and then I LL be asking for help

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a T/C Encore and use shockways also. When shooting the other day and had five shots in a 4" group at 150 yards. Can't say anything about anyother ammo, never tried. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Muzzle loader setup

Hello rozman62, Lefty here. Here's my setup. I shoot a CVA Kodiak Pro Mag.
50 cal. For my bullet I use Hornady's 50 cal sabot w/ 45 cal 250 grain sst-ml bullet. I have recovered several bullets that were shot from 100 yards. The weight retention of these bullets has been awesome. The weights I have of recovered bullets has been 234.5 grains to 239.6 grains. I have been shooting IMR white hots. Just two pellets = 100 grains and they chronograph @ an average of 1698 fps. I started out using winchester 209 primers but switched to remington 209 primers. Accuracy has been for me has been 1 3/8" 1 1/2" @ 100 yards Thats it .

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I've only started at the range with the new Triumph but happy with the loads. 110 gr of Black Horn and 250 gr T/C shock waves, cci primers. Nearly touching holes at 100 yds. I hope to shoot the 200 yd range soon just to see the performance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a CVA wolf and I use 2 triple 7 50 graing pellets, 245 grain aerotip powerbelt and federal primers...dead on at about 125 yards. I haven't shot much more than that because i will never get a longer shot where im hunting

·
Registered
394 Posts
Not much luck here with powerbelts either. Tried a few diffrent weights and charges in both hollow point and the aero tip. Shooting 250 t/c shockwaves two 50 grain 777pellets w/ great groups.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Try the 270 powerbelt platinums.I have taken 2 deer with them this year one dropped in its tracks,the other went about 15 yards with a massive blood trail.I use Shockeys gold sticks 50 grain x 2.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I forgot about this thread. I have long since filed away my powerbelts. I use SW 250gr black sabots and they have a fairly tight fit into my Omega but allow me to cut holes at 100 yards. I have put these through a chrony and had 4 shots @ 1805-1817 FPS into a tight group with 1 flyer. The 12 FPS ES is outstanding. I shot an identical target 3 weeks later.I have no reason to shoot any other bullet at this point.

·
Registered
608 Posts
45 cal encore, sort of!

Hunt south central Delaware with muzzleloader and shotgun. After ten years of trying various loads for the front stuffer I like 110 grains of loose blackhorn powder and a hornady sabot 200 gr. out of an encore pro hunter, the only ? here is I like the Bergara barrel better than my encore barrels, but hey it works for me! as for a shotgun I love my Savage 210 bolt action with the hornady sst. both have the new 5" eye relief nikon scope so my nose lives! Just an old guy still making adjustments to shoot the wiley whitetail

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi new here, I just purchased my first muzzleloader this year finally. A CVA Accura .50cal. I first tried the 245 powerbelts and I could not get them to group at all. I let other people shoot it even tried a different scope to make sure. I was about to return the gun with frustration but I was def gonna try another bullet first. I then tried the TC shockwave 250 and had excellent results. Thats what im sticking with I can punch holes @100yds.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Good choice farmboy. I like how the shockwaves perform. Took a deer with one earlier this season. Tight to load but tight group as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My CVA Accura likes Hornaday XTP 300 gr. pistol bullet in a Harvester Crushed Rib Sabot on top of 100 gr. of pyrodex RS. Punching holes at 100 yards and deadly on deer and hog.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts