Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already looked through the forums but couldn't find this topic....

Before this year, I have always hunted with shotgun, but Indiana opened firearms season up to rifles within the past couple years. So I have decided to get a rifle for this year.

Rifle hunting is limited to rifles with pistol cartridges of .357 or larger, minimum case length of 1.16 in and max case length of 1.625 in.

SO.... out of these rounds, which would you recommend and which rifle would you recommend. PRICE is an issue, can't afford to go too high on the price.
.357 magnum
38-40 winchester
41 magnum
41 special
44 magnum
44 special
44-40 winchester
45 colt
454 casull
458 socom
475 linebaugh
480 ruger
50 action express
500 s&w

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
This isn't answering your direct question, but of what you listed, I'd stay with a scoped rifled barreled 12 ga semi-auto. I have seen what the 480 ruger does to PA bears but......... The newer slug guns will go out 200 yds and with a second barrel you can hunt other game with it. I didn't really like the kick of the 480 when my buddy let me shoot a few rounds.:wacko:

·
Registered
798 Posts
Not knowing your tolerance for recoil, I would break those calibers that you mentioned into two groups. The .357 to 45 Colt in the first group and the .454 and up in the second. The first group represents what I would consider reasonable recoil for most handgun shooters. But I would drop the .357 from this list as being a little on the light side for deer in most cases. The .41 magnum to 45 Colt being excellent choices for deer within their intended ranges. If you are not an experienced handgun shooter, I'd recommend that you stay away from the second group, at least for now. On the other hand, if you are one of the rare individuals who can handle those big bruisers, as the legendary handgun hunter, Elmer Keith, used to say, "There's no such thin as too big!" Good luck and great hunting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts