Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, hi everyone. These boards are great. I've been reading threads for a few days now.

I've just started bow hunting again. I did it very little when i was younger, but not for long. I've started up again because my teenage son is an avid bowhunter and it's nice to spend more time with him.

I got my first deer of the season last week and was pretty happy about it. I got a button buck, but hopefully bigger ones will come.

I purchased a tip can this evening and was hoping to get some pointers and maybe some opinions on whether this is a good tool to use this time of the season.

Second, what is a good time to get into your stand? What i mean is, 1/2 hour before daylight, etc. And is it ok to wait until first light when you have a little easier time of seeing what you're doing? LOL

Thanks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I get into the stand about a half hour early myself. I might would have better luck if I went a little earlier but it always has seemed to have worked for me in the past.

Best of luck to ya.

R

·
0 Posts
there are 2 schools of thought on this. one is get there early to let things settle down. this is what i do. i try for 1 hr early. the other is wait till you can see cause you could bump something on the way in. the way i see it smart old deer will get to the thick stuff early and stay late, so i try to beat them there. as much as i can anyway. getting a deer with a bow while on your way into a stand is pretty tough so if I bump one and its pitch black out, its my belief, they don't make me out to be a human unless they wind me as well as hear me.

oh and welcome to the club

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Greetings from Vermont and Welcome to the Club.
I think it's always best to wait until you can see your way in without the use of a flashlight.
If you start heading in and can't see, chances are you're only going push deer away, you probably wont see them but I Guarantee they will see you.

If you're not experienced with using calls, I would say don't use them at all during the hunting season, practice with them during the off seasons until you learn how deer react to them. Good Luck

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I'm one who goes to my stand in the dark 30 min or so befor light. If your huntig travel routes you will know about what time the deer will pass by. I like the woods to wake up around me instead of me waking the woods up going in.

R

·
0 Posts
i'm with hm. one of the best parts of hunting for me is sitting there and seeing and hearing the world wake up. deer or no deer

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree w/ Ron and HM completely. However it depends because every situation dictates behavior, both ours and the deer. Is it private or public land, how much pressure your parcel gets. If you can't get out 30 minutes before day break then it is commonly believed that you are missing the first activity of the day. In which case I would try to hunt from 1030 until after sunset. Deer tend to move again around mid day after the morning bedding period. There are so many factors involved, but once you figure out their pattern you can plan your hunt with your comfort level. The key is getting in your spot w/o disturbing the deer, whatever time of day you go.

Good luck and congrats on the button.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found this out the hard way this morning! I got there late and the buck thats been coming buy almost every morning seemed to come in early. He was even coming within good range of my stand this time.
I was hooking me safey harness, and there he was, looking right at me.
I didnt even have my bow pulled up yet.:whistling:
OOPS
Scott

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is going to be a matter of preferance more than anything. I have been early, late, ontime, in light and dark. I have seen deer going to and comeing from the stand. I have shot deer coming and going to the stand/truck. it depends on what kind of hunting you like to do.. I am fine stalking and sitting in a tree.. generally, i like to go out in the morning as early as I can... light, dark it dont matter to me. Because in the end... the more time you spend in the tree the more deer you will see.

R

·
0 Posts
Because in the end... the more time you spend in the tree the more deer you will see.

you won't shoot one from the living room....... unless you're in nj or some place like that.

·
Registered
790 Posts
OR you could be like me and try to be in your stand and set up 2 hours before visible light. Ronn has experienced this with me so I think he can vouch for how well it works. Is it necessary, maybe not but in heavily hunted areas it is extremely important to beat the other hunters into the woods even if they are hundreds of acres away. Many times I have been ready to draw back on a nice buck just as soon as I could see my pins because of deer drives cause by sleepy heads.:confused::rolleyes::zzz:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts