41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
no matter if its a bullet or an arrow its all about" shot placement"

·
Registered
278 Posts
True, true, true. My point here: There are some calibers designed better than others for thick woods. 35 rem is much better say 50-100 yards in thick woods than a .243. If either bullet hit the vitals then the deer is most likely done. The likelyhood of the .35 getting there is higher than the .243. Again thickets or thick woods is what I refer to here.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
i wasnt arguing with ya rozman.i also believe there is no such thing as a brush busting round except maybe 20mm AA.all bullets will be effected by hitting sticks etc..

·
Super Moderator
8,470 Posts
No argueing here either, there is simply no such thing as a bullet able to deflect brush and still track true. I'm sure the point is that in some areas a 30 cal is thought as the better one vs a smaller cal bullet. This would bring a hole bunch of new debate on what's best. I think a.......!

·
Registered
88 Posts
i am 16 years old myself but have been hunting since i was about 12. my first year out with my dad i was shooting a ruger semi auto 44 carbine which is a great gun with not to much kick but after that deer season i had my eye on dads ruger 30/06 m77 bolt action sittting in the case down the basement so before the next fall i got the gun sighted in at the range and though the kick wasnt much worse than the 44 so i chose to stick with it . i love the gun and have never had a problem with it but like other guys have said gun caliber also depends on what kind of terrain you will be hunting.

hope i was of some help. and good luck hunting

·
Super Moderator
8,470 Posts
two of my biggest concerns would be average shot distance and game hunted. I would then make a decision on which caliber would fit that situation. Many calibers would fit a varity of hunting situations, like the 270,280,308,30-06. 300 win mag, and some of the new short mags. These calibers tend to cover just about anything you would hunt in North America except the big bears. There are many many calibers and bullets to hunt deer with picking one is part of the fun.

·
Registered
516 Posts
True, true, true. My point here: There are some calibers designed better than others for thick woods. 35 rem is much better say 50-100 yards in thick woods than a .243. If either bullet hit the vitals then the deer is most likely done. The likelyhood of the .35 getting there is higher than the .243. Again thickets or thick woods is what I refer to here.
GOOD POINT BUT WHY WOULD SOMEONE WANT TO TAKE A CHANCE AND SHOOT THROUGH THE BRUSH AT AN ANIMAL WITH THE CHANCES THAT IT MIGHT BE WONDED AND GET AWAY? WHY NOT WAIT FOR A SOMEWHAT CLEAR SHOT.JUST AN OPINION NOT AN INSULT:smile:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I know for a fact that I would wait for a clear shot myself and would never blast through a mess of brush...all good ethical hunters would. The members of this site are clearly in this category. Unfortunatly there are some hunters that would blast through the brush thinking the bullet would go through undeflected...simply can't happen as mentioned above. The term "brush buster' is a myth and may send a wrong message to hunters. Apologize if I sent this message to anyone. Any caliber that can cut down brush belongs on the battle grounds, not the deer woods. A caliber like the .35 Rem (my fav) is better suited for short range work (NE) vs the .243 which shoots much flatter and designed for more open spaces like fields and the West however Hornady has really changed the outlook of these short range tools with the Leverevolutions.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Yes Hornady Has Really Put Some Good Bullets Out There For The Lever Actions.i Have Only One Lever Action And Its A 300 Sav.yeah Thers Nothing Wrong With A 35rem My Buddy Has One But In A Pistol And Has Shot Many Many Deer With It.

·
Super Moderator
8,470 Posts
Whitetail, you use that 300 Sav? I have one that I have used the last two years in PA. What a great deer getter that has lasted a long time. I have looked at the Remington classic in 300 and thought that might make a nice addition to the gun cabinet.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Whitetail, you use that 300 Sav? I have one that I have used the last two years in PA. What a great deer getter that has lasted a long time. I have looked at the Remington classic in 300 and thought that might make a nice addition to the gun cabinet.
HUNTINGMAN,I USED IT FOR AWILE SHOT A FEW DEER WITH IT BUT ITS SUCH A NICE RIFLE AND IN NEAR MINT COND I WOULD HATE TO SCRATCH IT OR FALL WITH IT.IT WAS A HAND ME DOWN FROM MY FATHER AND FROM HIS FATHER.YEARS AGO I DID A SER # CHECK AND ITS DATED 1925.VERY OLD.NOW IT SITS IN THE GUN CABINET ALL OILED UP.BUT THAT 300SAV. IS A SWEET DEER CALIBER.I HAD THOUGHT ABOUT GETTING A BALLEL MADE FOR MY TC ENCOER.I CALLED TC AND THEY DO MAKE THEM.

·
Super Moderator
8,470 Posts
Mine was made in 1942 and is clean, but not a hand-me-down. I don't remember seeing any reloading reports on whether you can push them a bit hotter or are they near max for the case volume. No doubt the 300 would be excellant in TC encore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Man there are so many choices its not even funny lol. But from family,friend, and my personal experience i think noone will deny that a 30/06 is not only reliable and powerful but its also not too expensive and can kill almsot anything you want! Great gun!

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.