Deer Hunting Forums banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
My daughter is 15 and her rifle is a Rem 600 in 243 and every time she stays home I find myself carrying it.So light and a great shooter.Last year she shot her mothers 270 Howa and now they fight over it,hehehe.If you practice enough with the single shot you can reload and get a follow up shot off pretty quick.Good luck u2 and in my opinon you could not have picked a better hobby/sport.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just go down to your local gun store and try a 300 WSM that means winchester short mag.if you can hold on to it its the only gun you will need for a lifetime you can kill anything from coyotes to buffulo.I bought a 243 when i was 10.I hated every minute of it.I am 15 and fixin to buy a 300 WSM and i have already shot it and i love it. IT MIGHT BE A LITTLE TO MUCH GUN FOR YOU. I am 6 foot 1 and weigh 165. But i would shoot a 300 WSM before i bought another gun.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
MACHO ,MACHO MAN,I WANT TO BE A MACHO MAN:rolleyes:

·
Registered
798 Posts
Welcome to the club. Joel and Buckfever have given you lots of good advice, and it soounds like you have a great setup with the guy that's helping you. It's always a good thing to have an experienced guy like that who is willing to help. You are lucky and be sure to show him that you appreciate his help. That .270 sounds like the ideal rifle for you, and I agree that if you can try different rifles model as well as calibers, that's the way to go before buying anything. Along with equipment, be sure to educate yourself on: firearms safety, hunter ethics, game anatomy and habits. Also spend as much time as you can at the range. Some of the guys and I have written several articles and tips which appear on the home page of deerhuntersclub which should help you with lots of "how-to" advice. Welcome to the world of hunting.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Just weighing in here. I have a 6.5 lb Ruger M77 in .30-06. It kicks so hard that I am reluctant in using it. I am going to try the 125 gr reduced recoil which should help. I am of medium stature at 5'9"-175#. I have learned through the years that you do not need a Howitzer sized firearm to bring down most animals. Bullet placement rules. You will hold better groups with less exposed recoil. I prefer the .25-06 - .270 caliber/recoil range for whitetail hunting. In my opinion the .30-.35 cals align to moose,black bear,etc.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
yep:bye:i agree 100% bigger is not always better:wink:

·
Registered
8,462 Posts
I think most of us tend to follow a pattern as we go through life: First gun :smaller caliber maybe a single shot. Second gun: pump, bolt, semi auto and larger caliber. Third gun: larger caliber more expensive faster, gigantic scope. Then as we age and things start to hurt we tend to migrate back to smaller calibers lighter rifles and in some cases still put a lot of money into this gun to make it our pet. As the factory bullet makers have produced custom bullets equalling performance of reloaders several of the smaller caliber rifles now make a lot of sense to own and enjoy. I also agree that bigger is not always the better way to go. There are so many options to choose from that half the fun of purchasing a new gun is the shoping. Sites like this one are a great way to begin your quest for that new perfect gun. The nice thing here is everyone gets their opinion and has the oppertunity to lay out their claim, and the rest of us will let them know why they are wrong! ha ha, hey that's what we do. Here is my list of calibers that most likely have killed the most deer, please add to the list as you see fit. This should be a good topic!
1 30-30
2 30-06
3 270
4 32 win
5 243
6 300 sav
7 35 rem
8 7mm
9 25-06

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i agree with ya hunting man.i read somewhere there are 5 stages to a hunters life,i dont remember exactly how it goes

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bigger is Better???

I have to agree with the guys on this one... I use a Rem .270 with 120 grain and have never had a problem with a deer going down... granted its got a little kick to it... most guys should be able to handle it... anyways getting to my point just to caution you i bought a case of 150 grain and used it a couple of times and decided to go back down to 120 grain cuz everytime i shot a deer there was a exit wound the size of my fist and alot of good meat lost... when i killed my buck this past season he went down no problem on one shot but didnt have an exit wound... But yea welcom to the sport of hunting and good luck in this and hopefully many more seasons to come for yall...

·
Registered
1 Posts
30-06

30-06's Are Great, But I Do Not Think It Is The Right Gun To Start Out With. Now This Is Just My Opinion From My Own Experience. My First Gun Was A Remington 30-06 Auto Loader. It Is A Great Gun But Not For The Beginner. I Thought That If I Had The Right Equipment The Deer Would Just Fall Over With There Legs In The Air. I Belived That If I Missed With The First Shot I Had 4 More Ready To Fly. Three Deer Seasons Went By With Alot Of Tracking. The First Two Seasons I Got My Deer. Its My Third Hunting Season That Haunted Me To This Day. I Shot And Wounded A 6 Point Buck On Opening Day, I Spent The Rest Of My Time Searching For That Deer. It Was Never Recovered. This Is Something I Am Very Ashamed Of, And Most People Would Never Admitt. However If One Person Can Learn From My Mistakes It Is Worth My Imbarassment. I Went Out And Purchased A 270 Bolt Action And Took It To The Range. I Got To Know My Gun After The Scope Was Sighted In, A Few Boxes Of Bullets Later I Was Keyholing The Targets. To This Day I Have Not Had To Track A Deer More Then Twenty Yards,knock On Wood. When Ever Im Am Ready To Pull The Trigger That Buck Is In The Back Of My Mind.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Greetings 1shot1kill, You can't keep beating yourself up over one poor shot. It Happens to all hunters at one time or another, Did you ever think that it wasn't a vital shot and maybe only grazed the deer causing only a minor wound?
Nobody wants to take a shot at a deer only to wound it but sometimes it happens, whether it was caused by the bullet hitting a branch or the Deer moving or even a scope that may have ben jarred,,, there are plenty of reasons why and how it happens but it does happen.
Welcome to the Deer Hunters Club and Best of luck in all your hunts....

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Hey 1shot, and welcome to the site. We're glad to have you here. I can relate to your past experience in losing a game animal and I feel the same way to this day. But like they say " if it don't kill ya it'll only make ya stronger". Oh yeah, I love the 30-06, it is a great gun. In fact it's the only one along with a turkey gun that I own.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
welcome to the site and thanks for sharing that story.I too have wounded a deer and it it makes me sick too.thats why i constantly practice with my weapons of choice.Like Bruce said you may have gotten lucky and it survived if it didnt well the coyotes ate well .Nothing goes to waste in the woods..

·
Registered
2 Posts
im new to this site so im not real sure of everyone but ive only hunted for 4 years and killed 3 bucks but let 2 get away i wis i would have got i need a new rifle too for some reason my .243 doesnt have very good knock down power. and ive learned real fast that if you shoot the front chest of the deer shoot high into the neck i find it more effective than medium hight.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have lost 3 deer over 25 years of hunting. Lost a 6 point last year and didn't pull the trigger on a 200 pounder because I was not comfortable with the shot. Years ago I had 9 opportunites to shoot and did not because I panicked and was green. These things can weigh on you as you start to second guess your decisions. Turn it into the positive view by understanding what when wrong and ensure it doesn't reoccur.

I think the .243 is a little light for New England whitetails due to the thickness of the woods. The chance of deflection is very high. I think .25 cal is the min. cal. I have seen many debates on the .243's effectiveness. Deadly if placed into the vitals out 300-400 yards.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.