Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
well first off congrats on taking up hunting.Now when you went turkey did you shoot?Im assuming you used a shotgun.A12 gauge slug gun will kill a deer with no problem.Where are you hunting?is it wide open spaces?if so you'll need a rifle. a30/30 might be good for ya so would a 270.do you have acess to firearms?if you do your best bet would be to try diffrent types to see which you like.Remember bigger is NOT always better.alot of people shoot a gun that they cant handle causing them to flinch and they become afraid of the kick,they shoot terrible after that.go with the someone who knows about hunting in your area and ask what they use.start scouting your hunting locations now .get a topo map of the area and start looking for funnels ,saddles ,ridges and other good deer locations.A good book you might want to get is"hunting todays whitetail"from sports afield i think it cost 15$has everything a beginer needs to know.Feel free to ask questions remember the only stupid questions are the ones not asked

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
sounds like your all set.keep your eyes and ears open and try to pick up as much as possible ,good luck to ya

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
ya musy be a pretty big kid to handle a 30-06 and not think it has no kick.remind me not to get in a fight with you:whistling:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i still dont like 30-06s:whistling:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
hey even .im not bustin em but that 30-06 was on the bench right?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
MACHO ,MACHO MAN,I WANT TO BE A MACHO MAN:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
yep:bye:i agree 100% bigger is not always better:wink:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i agree with ya hunting man.i read somewhere there are 5 stages to a hunters life,i dont remember exactly how it goes

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
welcome to the site and thanks for sharing that story.I too have wounded a deer and it it makes me sick too.thats why i constantly practice with my weapons of choice.Like Bruce said you may have gotten lucky and it survived if it didnt well the coyotes ate well .Nothing goes to waste in the woods..

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
no matter if its a bullet or an arrow its all about" shot placement"

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i wasnt arguing with ya rozman.i also believe there is no such thing as a brush busting round except maybe 20mm AA.all bullets will be effected by hitting sticks etc..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.