Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
let me also congratulate you on picking up the great sport of hunting. and thanks for joining up with this site. it does sound like your all set though. if the guy your going with had been deer hunting for 35 years he should have the knowledge to be able to teach you alot. like joel said keep your ears open. what your hunting partner can teach you it has taken him years to learn. so pay attention when he talks. as far as gun selection if your a decent sized young man you can probably shoot almost every gun out there. most teens start with a .243 or a 30-30 i would think. a 30-30 is a good brush/woods gun and since you think you have already shot a .270 (if you were comfortable with it) that should be a good fit for you in open fields. and im not to far from you. franklin county tennessee. thats only about 40 mins from the alabama line. good luck this year. hope to be able to hear how your first hunts go.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
not bad at all evan. thats 2 good shots. and that would be a dead deer at 100 yds for sure. a 30-06 is a good gun for you as long as your comfortable with it. thats the rifle i use during gun season myself.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
hey evan were just assuming that if you can handle a 30-06 your a pretty big kid. not fat but a good sized feller. :tongue:

and cliffbama i got to agree with ya. when my daughters get bigger a .243 will be their first gun if they show an interest in wanting to go hunting with old man dad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.