Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am new to hunting all together except that i've been turkey hunting once. I went turkey hunting during spring break of '07. I'm 16 years old and am going deer hunting this winter. I need to get everyone's opinion on what gun i should get.

Thx in advance

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
well first off congrats on taking up hunting.Now when you went turkey did you shoot?Im assuming you used a shotgun.A12 gauge slug gun will kill a deer with no problem.Where are you hunting?is it wide open spaces?if so you'll need a rifle. a30/30 might be good for ya so would a 270.do you have acess to firearms?if you do your best bet would be to try diffrent types to see which you like.Remember bigger is NOT always better.alot of people shoot a gun that they cant handle causing them to flinch and they become afraid of the kick,they shoot terrible after that.go with the someone who knows about hunting in your area and ask what they use.start scouting your hunting locations now .get a topo map of the area and start looking for funnels ,saddles ,ridges and other good deer locations.A good book you might want to get is"hunting todays whitetail"from sports afield i think it cost 15$has everything a beginer needs to know.Feel free to ask questions remember the only stupid questions are the ones not asked

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ty joel very much for the info i will definitely take into consideration everything you have said.

To answer your questions i will be hunting in Alabama. The Lowndes County area. I have a 12 Gauge single barrel shotgun and a 16 gauge single barreled shotgun that are about 45 years old :D i completely restored it myself along with the help of my dad. Although that's not the gun i went turkey hunting with. I went hunting with a Remming 270 i think (though i shot it once at a target i did not get the opportunity to shoot a turkey but i did come very very close). The guy i'm going hunting with has been hunting for probly about like 35 years or something. He has his own gun collection, a hunting club, and will be hunting on 648 acres that he owns. He will be providing me with a rifle, binoculars, and a shooting house. I just can't w8 till i go.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
sounds like your all set.keep your eyes and ears open and try to pick up as much as possible ,good luck to ya

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
let me also congratulate you on picking up the great sport of hunting. and thanks for joining up with this site. it does sound like your all set though. if the guy your going with had been deer hunting for 35 years he should have the knowledge to be able to teach you alot. like joel said keep your ears open. what your hunting partner can teach you it has taken him years to learn. so pay attention when he talks. as far as gun selection if your a decent sized young man you can probably shoot almost every gun out there. most teens start with a .243 or a 30-30 i would think. a 30-30 is a good brush/woods gun and since you think you have already shot a .270 (if you were comfortable with it) that should be a good fit for you in open fields. and im not to far from you. franklin county tennessee. thats only about 40 mins from the alabama line. good luck this year. hope to be able to hear how your first hunts go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Actually when i went down to his farm he let me shoot his 30 06 (i think that's how you spell it; thirty ont six or something) it had not that much kick and i came 1/2 inch from hitting the bullseye twice. So i would say i'm a pretty good marksman :D. Well thx guys for the information. i can't w8 till i go hunting i know i'm gonna like it. :w00t:

Also here is a picture of the target (my first ever rifle shot at 100 yards). My 2 shots are the ones that say Evan btw; it's my name.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
not bad at all evan. thats 2 good shots. and that would be a dead deer at 100 yds for sure. a 30-06 is a good gun for you as long as your comfortable with it. thats the rifle i use during gun season myself.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
ya musy be a pretty big kid to handle a 30-06 and not think it has no kick.remind me not to get in a fight with you:whistling:

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
i think you read my mind joel. i was thinkin the same thing. when i was younger i thought a 30-30 had a nice kick

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i still dont like 30-06s:whistling:

·
Registered
179 Posts
evan im with you except im just 14 and kicking off my career....i need help from you guys

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I am new to hunting all together except that i've been turkey hunting once. I went turkey hunting during spring break of '07. I'm 16 years old and am going deer hunting this winter. I need to get everyone's opinion on what gun i should get.

Thx in advance
One of my favorite rifles for new hunters is a single shot 243.It is acurate,has no kick,and the fact it is a single shot will make you a better shot bc you know you need to make that first shot count.My son has one and I also use it from time to time due to it being so light I can carry it all day when im stalking.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
hey evan were just assuming that if you can handle a 30-06 your a pretty big kid. not fat but a good sized feller. :tongue:

and cliffbama i got to agree with ya. when my daughters get bigger a .243 will be their first gun if they show an interest in wanting to go hunting with old man dad

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
hey even .im not bustin em but that 30-06 was on the bench right?

·
Registered
179 Posts
man im skinny im 5 11 and im only 125 but i still need my major growth spurt

·
Registered
179 Posts
nice guns...always can trust on remmington and winchester...all american

1 - 20 of 59 Posts