Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My problem is getting the deer to come out during the day time. I am the only one hunting a 300+ acre tract of woods. I have two really good stand locations with a lot of signs of activiy (rubs, scrapes, etc..). I have cameras up and a ton of pictures of doe/bucks. The problem is that all the pictures are at night(100 pictures- not one single day time). There is a hunting club at the end of my road that run dogs and I sometimes catch their dogs on my property. Other than that I don't know what the problem is. I've tried using my climing stand on the trails that lead to and from bedding/feeding areas. I've also tried the lure scents and rattling/grunting during the rut. What should I try next? I've got a huge 8 point on camera and want to get him before the dog hunters do, please help if you can.

R

·
0 Posts
sit tight to the bedding. not much else you can. or get in the bedding WAY before light but plan on being there till after dark. its easy to mess the area up that way though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I guess I don't agree. I was always taught not to invade bedding areas because if you screw up once they will not use that bedding area for a long time. Their bedding area is a safe place , a sanctuary,and when they feel threatened they will leave the area more than likely for the season. So if you are going to do it make it you're best shot because it may be your last . I would push my stand as close (but not in)as I could to the bedding area and hope for the best. Remember that morning thermal winds will be different when the sun warms things up.

R

·
0 Posts
thats what i said. its easy to mess up the area. but if you are in there 2 hrs before light and willing to sit till well after dark you may get away with it. that said, it is kinda a last resort move.

now, bedding is different than a sanctuary. a sanctuary is just that and should never be messed with. the club next door, if they are any good, should have part of their property as a sanctuary.

·
Registered
799 Posts
The question I have regarding "messing up the bedding area" is this. what is the 300 acre tract next to? if it is an oasis type situation (however unlikely)the deer will move to another location on the 300 acres but they will still be on the tract. or is it adjoining another tract of land that the deer could move to and be unhuntable? being that they are not exposing themselves during daytime now makes it kind of no win situation if you cant get then to move around a bit or get into where they are. You will need to position yourself in an area that you can hunt them in the earliest or the latest legal hunting times and get a crack at them either coming or going from the bedding area. Or you will need to get then to move. Maybe a drive is in order providing it is legal in the state you hunt.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Personally, I have had no luck rattling in this state and dont do it. The buck to doe ratio and general size of the bucks is too low. As far as grunting goes I will only do it occationally and then only once or twice an hour. I find they like to aproach from downwind of a grunt/bleat and may be busting you and leaving quietly. Many would not hunt the edge of a field if their scent was blowing out into it. I do, because down here deer arent in the fields during daylight hours but staging around the perimeter. This is a good place to call since they cant get downwind of you without being in the open. Ive heard nerds grunting, or overgrunting while on stand. Deer wont be in one spot grunting all morning long and thats a dead giveaway of a hunters stand. Now if I hear soft grunts occationally in different directions Im more convinced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have had the same problem in the past here in oklahoma.seeing ton of deer at night but not any studs during the day just doe and young bucks. i started hunting off of a deer decoy during the rut. i mostly use a buck decoy and put em about 80 yrds in front of my shooting house facing me.this will allow for a nice shot as the buck will start to circle the decoy to get eye to eye with it.just try and place the decoy were it can be visible to deer to see from aways away. i put it in a hay field and hunt of the side of a ridge covered with timber. good luck and happy hunting

1 - 7 of 7 Posts