Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Louisiana. I am in an area, where there were deer. They suddenly started disappearing . One day while viewing my survellience camera I spotted a cougar. That is a very rare occurence for my area.What can I do to get rid of the cougar and bring the deer back?

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
What can I do to get rid of the cougar and bring the deer back?
Your question is the answer. Get rid of the cougar and the deer will be back. Sounds easy but it's probably hard to do. 1st you ought to look into the legal issues of hunting/trapping/baiting a cougar in you state. I don't know what is worse a pack of coyotes or a cougar. Good Luck in your quest to get the cougar out of there.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I live in Louisiana. I am in an area, where there were deer. They suddenly started disappearing . One day while viewing my survellience camera I spotted a cougar. That is a very rare occurence for my area.What can I do to get rid of the cougar and bring the deer back?

First of all, Do NOT shoot the Cougar!

The best thing to do is contact the Louisiana Dept. Of Wildlife and Fisheries and tell them your trail cameras snapped pictures of the Cougar and
ask them if they can capture and remove it.
I'm sure it's on their endangered species list so they may want to relocate it to a refuge area.

copied from the Louisiana state webite
"To report verifiable sightings of cougars containing physical evidence such as photos, tracks and/or scat please call Maria Davidson at 337-948-0255 or your nearest LDWF Region office at: Minden 318-371-3050 Monroe 318-343-4044 Pineville 318-487-5885 Ferriday 318-757-4571 Lake Charles 337-491-2575 Opelousas 337-948-0255 Baton Rouge 225-765-2360.

For more information, please contact Maria Davidson at 337-948-0255."

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
i say if it's leagle to shoot it than do it. if not
shoot it, bury it, and never speek of it again.
:no: that's some Really poor advice hunt nh!

I hope from this post on you'll put more thought into what you offer for advice.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I can't disagree more with huntNH's response. If it's illegal to shoot that cat, you shouldn't do it, period. This website was set up to promote deer hunting, not to give advice that advocates breaking laws or taking it into our own hands. Vigilanteism, whether dealing with two-legged or four-legged culprits, is a dangerous path to follow and illegal for lots of valid reasons. There may be problems with some of our local game departments, but "Shoot, shovel and shut up", is a pretty sad way of dealing with issues that can be corrected in other (lawful) ways. At a minimum, being an ethical hunter means following the hunting laws of your state. Good luck with your situation.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
See if the state will help you out. If not, ................? Its like the wolf problem in nothern Michigan. The state has now dropped the protection for them so hunters will thin out the wolves to protect the deer herds. I don't know whats right but balance has to be found. Good luck finding a workable solution.

·
Registered
602 Posts
hice job NH, hats off to you for deleteing your post. being new on the site, was wondering about that post. thumbs up for fixing it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
still frustrated

I have no pictures of the cat, I saw it on the survellience camera 20 feet from the house, on grass no tracks. I sure would like to get together with a fellow hunter and hunt some new land next year. Or if anyone knows of a club I can join. The area I live in is surrounded with dog hunters, and that kind of conflicts with my still hunting. There is also someone around the area hunting at night, I hear the shots, I am going to call the game wardens on them. I like to hunt peacefully and legally. I have in the past killed a few good rack deer, but this year has been bad. I would really like to find someplace for next year, so I can have something to look forward to. Thanks for all the comments

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
deerhuntman, many of us are looking for a new place for this fall. 2009 was a an off year for me and as I have read others saw a similar trend. Good luck in your scouting for a new property.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
hunt nh, nice going, :wink: I've put my foot in my mouth enough times to think what the heck was I thinking. Stress makes us do/say some strange things at times. Have a good one and get de-stressed, let me know how you do that!:surprised:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a cougar that I had come in when I was rattling a few years ago and it stayed around untill after the gun hunting season it must not have liked all of the activity in the woods and moved off.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
hunt, I'm sorry my response to this has taken so long but I never noticed that you removed your statement.
I don't know how i missed it but anyway, none of us are perfect, we all make mistakes and I'm just as guilty at sticking my foot in my mouth many times.
Everyone here is right when they say it takes a big man to admit his wrongs and correct them I'm proud you did and my hats off to ya. :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts