Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
I dont understand it either here in Wisconsin we get 2 doe tags in some areas and none in others. Next year will be alot of the same but I am not going to shoot any does next year, it's buck or nothing. Our DNR says there are to many deer but most hunters are not seeing anything,the guys I talk to see bears and wolves but no deer.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Ronn I think for the most part it's probably that the hunters are too green and just don't understand the concepts of QDM yet
or may not even be aware of QDM yet. :coffee:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Here we get a buck and a doe tag to begin with and after that you can buy as many doe tags as you want for $2 a piece. I prefer to shoot does over young bucks if I can help it but it depends on how slow the season is going.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
In TN we have very liberal doe limits and for the most part I think your hunters that hunt all seasons (bow, muzzleloader, and gun) will let the smaller bucks walk and take a doe if their looking for meat or doe reduction of their herd.

Now during gun season (in my unit) we have a zero doe rule unless: your a landowner, sportsmen license holder, or you buy a special permit (type 94). So what happens is your "weekend warrior, i only hunt with gun" hunter will shoot the first deer that walks by him because they do not hunt the other seasons when they could have taken up to 3 doe a day. They dont buy the permit because they dont want to waste the extra $$$.

Thats just my 2 cents. In TN it has gotten better on QDMA in the past couple years. Last year was the least amount of yearling bucks taken in the past 20 years.

My other thought is along with Bruce's. Hunters being green to the QDMA process. I know and like an older guy that owns several hundred acres. Up until last year he would not allow anyone to shoot a doe on his land. He claimed more does equaled more bucks. So the more bucks you would see. You also have alot of old school thinking still around of "If its brown its down."

Im like ronn on the "Its your hunt, do what you want with it." Even though I will sit and watch a spike or 4 point all day long it doesnt bother me if someone takes it. Thats just not what I want to shoot anymore. Now granted if im going hungry that spike better watch out. I got a 2nd cousin that will take any deer he sees, it doesnt matter what size it is.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I hunt primarily for the meat, everything else is a bonus. buck, doe yearling. if it walks under my stand its fair game.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I never took the time to add up all the doe possibilities in Montana, but I think if a person had the time and wanted to drive all around the state, he or she could shoot about 20 does (sometimes several in one hunting district), but only one buck (have to choose between whitetails or muleys). You have a good point, Ron. It doesn't seem to make too much sense to shoot those immature bucks just for the meat. Personally, I never shoot a buck unless it has at least 8 points, and even most of these are in the 2-4 year old class - really not what you would call mature animals.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Here in North Carolina we can legally shoot an unlimited amount of does once we fill our card. Ten dollars per two doe bonus tags is the current price. My two cents on the matter is that I only hunt for meat and meat alone. I am never planning on mounting a buck on my wall at home. If I shoot a buck I usually just cut off the antlers and attach them to the front of my 4 wheeler(AKA the meat wagon). I do prefer does over bucks because they taste better and will shoot a doe 9 times out of 10. I have never really had a problem finding does to shoot because they are everywhere in the area that I hunt, however, if I have been in the stand for an hour and a half and a buck is the only thing that walks out, he is a goner. I'm just not that picky.

·
Registered
799 Posts
We pretty much can shoot as many does as we can. the bag limit is 1 deer per tag and only 2 antlered deer per year. But I hunt a conservation district and have very limited time in the field. and our primary job is to thin the herd.

·
Registered
562 Posts
There is just something about bucks that lures people in. Especially young or inexperienced hunters will always opt for the buck over a doe if they have the choice. I have had the opportunity to introduce many hunters to the sport and when asking what they want to shoot the answer is 100% of the time a buck. It is neat for them to have something to show for their hunt other than the meat. They can go and show off the antlers to friends and family and feel like they have accomplished more when they have killed a buck. It used to be that way for me too. I have my garage lined with racks that are less than stellar from years past. This year I have killed 4 does, and have not yet killed a buck. I hope I do, but have decided not to kill the young or even marginal deer this year. I can understand why people do...I love whitetail racks too.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
I think flexj made a very valid point.

Now this thought is not for meat hunters but for just your everyday new hunter. Like flex said they are thrilled with what they get to keep. Even if its only a fork horn. They still get something they get to keep. I think most people "progress" into bigger mature buck hunters. Just like flexj did. He has filled his garage with small racks and now wants more of a challenge to hunt something bigger and wiser.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
yup good point. who don't like the antlers. as you said as we grow as hunters i think we become a little wiser. again to those who may disagree shoot what makes you happy and i'll be happy for/with you, but its food for thought.

the four stages of being a hunter. 1. shoot a deer. 2. shoot lots of deer. 3. shoot big deer. 4. shoot the right deer. i'm kinda a quivering mass of all four i guess.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
the four stages of being a hunter. 1. shoot a deer. 2. shoot lots of deer. 3. shoot big deer. 4. shoot the right deer. i'm kinda a quivering mass of all four i guess.
I think it's more like,
1. Try finding a Deer, 2. Try to shoot a Deer, (overcome buckfever)
3. Finally shoot a Deer, 4. start over at step 1. :lol::lol:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Words of a wise person #1 rule-- have fun with what you do or don't do it at all. #2--The only one you need to satisfy is yourself. #3 be open to advice but remember that opinions are like poopers, everyone has one and they all stink .

·
Registered
27 Posts
yup good point. Who don't like the antlers. As you said as we grow as hunters i think we become a little wiser. Again to those who may disagree shoot what makes you happy and i'll be happy for/with you, but its food for thought.

The four stages of being a hunter. 1. Shoot a deer. 2. Shoot lots of deer. 3. Shoot big deer. 4. Shoot the right deer. I'm kinda a quivering mass of all four i guess.
thats a good one ! Lol

·
Registered
94 Posts
not sure

were i am in canada you can get up to i think 4 or 5 doe tags and only one buck but thats because our does outnumber our bucks big time

1 - 19 of 19 Posts