1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i send ya a box of snow for a nominal fee of.....:biggrin:

·
Registered
90 Posts
It was 75° down here just 2 days ago and to day the high is 45° and last night on the way home from work i decided to go out and glass where i hunt before it got dark and saw 2 nice 6 points chasing does and necks all swollen!!!! so pumped about late rifle opening tomorrow. it is supposed to be a lite rain but i am going to get out the rain gear and horns and grunt call and give it a shot. wish me luck and hopefully i will be posting some pics saturday night or sunday!!!!

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
good luck.hunt up a nice one,dont forget the camera:useless:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Weather Changes

My only advice to you is to hunt during the rain even if it is mid-day. Deer love to move as fronts move in and out. Before rain comes in, deer move heavily and feed during the showers. The afternoon or morning following th rain should be hunted as well because often cold fronts will follow the rain.

I have seen some of my biggest bucks during light--heavy down pours.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
well said rebel twanger!! Now I got another weather question I want to hear yalls thoughts on. WIND. Yeah a little wind does not matter in my book. What my question is about is the winds that are in the 8-18 mph range.

Question 1
Do yall see much deer activity during the peak rut on windy days?

And question 2
During non rut times do yall see less deer activity on windy days?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
its been my experience that deer dont like to move in wind that generates lots of noise.they get spooked by all the sound and movement.during the rut all bets are off deer do strange things

·
Administrator
5,709 Posts
Mild Winds have never been a big problem for me It's when the wind really starts picking up and gusting in the 30-40 mph range or higher, that's when I notice there's less activity, I have seen Deer in high Winds but those sightings are RARE,,, Not sure about other hunters but RARE for me anyway.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
When the winds get up I look for quiter places like cut overs and pines. It's also when I like to still hunt through an area. Four years ago I took a nice eight pointer slowly working my way through a two year old clear cut. I topped a little rise and he was working his way up the side of the next hill.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wind

1. I have rarely known anything to stop deer during the rut. I have seen tornado conditions where bucks are still chasing and busting does. It actuallyl would help a hunter because light to mild wind can more your estrus scents around and that will cause bucks to wander around more because of the scent being dispersed throughout an area.

2. Wind is good in my opinion because the wind will help move your scent past many deer. If you hunt in a bottom or valley, often a stronger wind will move your scent out of the area rather than letting it linger.

I have seen deer move heavily during winds from 8-25 mph....any higher than that and 1. I dont like to be 20+ ft up in a tree and 2. Rarely see activity in any animals.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Good post above and i agree. i went yesterday morning and the wind was terrible. i don't think that i could have made an accurate shot if a deer had walked infront of me though. my stand is on a pine tree and this joker could have been a ride at six-flags. the winds were gusting at 20-25 mph and felt like 60 mph when i was in that tree.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
best to be hunting the ground in winds like that

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
time to build igloos:lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts