Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
find a saddle along the rim (easy entry/exit spot). Or sometimes if there is a spot where ravines converge you can find a good funnel. Dont forget about the lazy deer that will walk along the ridge and not go down into the bottom. If you have to go down into it find a tall tree and try to put your stand as high as you can to help with scent problems. When I hunt in ravines or canyons I try to only hunt them mainly in the mornings when the thermals help you out a little. good luck

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Good points, the thermals on a calm day will be a problem if you don't plan for them. The sunny side will have an up draft and the oppisite ridge will have a down draft as the cold air falls in to replace the rising air. The deer will use these to their advantage as far a which trails they will use.

I used to hunt a valley between two ridges that were about a mile across from top to top. It ran North and south and had a very pronounced up thermal on the warm side in the morning and the opposite in the evening as it cooled and the other ridge had sun on it.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
the farm is ravines?or the area around it is ravines?what's the crop?and the prevailing wind comes from where?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts