Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are there advantages to hunting in the rain /do the deer still move or just lay down like cows

·
Registered
72 Posts
I thought this was asked a few days ago. Im no expert but in my experiences a light rain may stimulate movement. Heavy rains will lay em down. I hate hunting in any rain because its a sight game only. My nose isnt too good and my ears are filled with other noises. Its sight only and possible to have one walk right past you if you happen to be looking the other way. I carry a garbage bag for a quick raincoat but rarely sit it out. I have Frogg toggs raingear but have never used it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It depends. If it was a couldless night with a full moon and the deer ate all night, do you think it is going to stand out in the rain for your target practice?

The harder the rain and wind the more disadvantaged the deer are and the less you will see, but there are so many factors. Like hunger, warmth, rut....

That said studies show that deer movement is reduced 60% with winds above 15 mph, but a group of 4 deer slowly walked across the 100 yd wide powerline yesterday afternoon when they had a full moon the night before and the wind was gusting very hard.

It is hunting people

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought this was asked a few days ago. Im no expert but in my experiences a light rain may stimulate movement. Heavy rains will lay em down. I hate hunting in any rain because its a sight game only. My nose isnt too good and my ears are filled with other noises. Its sight only and possible to have one walk right past you if you happen to be looking the other way. I carry a garbage bag for a quick raincoat but rarely sit it out. I have Frogg toggs raingear but have never used it.
thank you for the info i have been hunting for a long time mainley pheasant just started hunting deer the advice about hunting for them in the rain you were right i live in coventry ct the winds were 20 to 40 miles per hr by noon it got up to 70 degrees i didnt see a thing but tomarrow is going to be cold in the 30's so i should see quite a bit of movement i did see a buck 8pionter but he was so far away icould see him with the binoculers but he was laying down hope i see him tommarow

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i wont do it bow hunting cuz blood trails are hard to follow if gun hunting i will shoot the deer in thefront scapula and drop it in its tracks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hunting in the rain if you are still hunting is a great time. You can move without noise and the sight clairity during mild rain is fantastic. The thing you hope for is to be in good areas when the rain tapers off. This triggers movement for sure.

I downed the biggest buck of my life because I fought through rain and was in the woods when it stopped. Greatest hunting moment of my life. Now I drool at the thought of rain.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Jacob refuses to hunt in the rain, says they rarely come out, he says they would move deeper in the woods,
Ok how is he coming up with this lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
:goodposting:i love the cold rain mixed with snow found out why i wasnt getting any deer i used scent away walked a big loop on 58 acres that iam aloud to hunt stopped for a few breif minutes heard some rustling in the woods pulled out the binoculers there was a t10 to 12 point buck tall fat and his coat looked silver 40 feet from me let him have it with my 12 guage with aslug barrel he jumped around darted for the part of the feild wich was only 20 feet across and he went into the woods waited 20 min. then found a blood trail shot him a 4:15 gets dark here by 5:10 GOOD THING ITS SNOWINGresume search at first light

1 - 10 of 10 Posts