Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want some tips on hunting in snowy weather. Im relativly new to deer hunting. Theres about 2 inches of snow on the ground where I live right now and I was wondering if some more experienced hunters have some knowledge about what deer do in snowy weather.

R

·
0 Posts
for the most part its just another day in the deer woods. if its a heavy blowing type snow storm they will find cover. they normally fill feed heavy as the storm starts and feed again just as the snow lets up. a light snow is basically nothing for them.

and welcome to the club, from nh

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok when is the best time for them to move around in snow to feed? morning? or evening?

R

·
0 Posts
Ok when is the best time for them to move around in snow to feed? morning? or evening?
that depends. if there is no human pressure then whenever they need to feed. if there is lots of hunting pressure then at night. basically the same as if it weren't snowing.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Normally if its really cold out deer will feed in late morning and early afternoon as they utalize the warmest part of the day. I agree with the 2" doesn't make much of a difference. look for feeding sign like dug up snow areas looking for acorns grass ect.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Good advice guys. ZRyan, if you have an acorn crop around that would be a good place to look. I've seen deer tunnel through a foot of snow to get at the acorns and you will see the areas all torn up. It snows in TN?????????

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Greetings from Vermont...
If it's just 2 inches of snow the deer keep on doing what it is they do, 2 inches won't alter their normal activities,
their tracks will tell you where they are headed and where they came from.
If it's a good soft quiet snow you may want to try following a fresh set of tracks, tracking has paid off for many hunters
or If you know the hunting area well, stay close to the areas the deer are using for cover,
if there's a lot of hunting pressure the deer will stay close the areas they use for cover.
Keep track of the wind and always keep a good eye out for sudden movements especially if you try doing some tracking.
Good Luck and Welcome to the Club

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everybody for the tips. They will help me a lot. And timberghost yes it snows in TN. I live in the mountains of East TN, we get probably 6 to 8 good snows every winter.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Something I would like to add that I have found this year. You and I are from more southern areas than most of the guys that responded. Hunt higher ground and try to find the thickest cover near field edges. Look for areas of thick brows such as honey suckle, grape vines, and briers. If the area also contains Locust trees and or pines that is a big plus. If the area has much new growth trees and areas of dead falls even better. Deer will tend to gravitate to sunny areas in this thick cover, the sun does not have to shine on them but in these locations they will still get the benefit of the few degrees extra warmth. These locations are also the very same the deer will move to during fire arm season so keep them in mind. This is close quarter hunting so silence and playing the wind is hugely important. Never push into these areas with a bad or questionable wind because it is not worth blowing these areas for the future. For me these are the areas that I leave for the last part of the season as my ace in the hole. Case in point is my trophy buck for this season came from just such a location. My last bit of advice is to hunt the afternoons because the deer will approach for down wind of these areas therefor blowing your set up. Also more than likely they will bed way before daylight making a late season hunt miserable for you to get in there that early to wait them out. Then again if you love freezing to death you could give it a try----NOT!

R

·
0 Posts
does snow make the deerhave different feeding habbits.
for the most part its just another day in the deer woods. if its a heavy blowing type snow storm they will find cover. they normally fill feed heavy as the storm starts and feed again just as the snow lets up. a light snow is basically nothing for them.

from farther back in the thread

1 - 13 of 13 Posts