Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a newcomer to hunting, what are some good items to put in a hunters pack for dusk/dawn hunting?
:coffee:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
depends on what your comfort level is.it can be real simple or real complicated:yes:

·
Registered
55 Posts
How big a pack you got? Only kidding...when I first started hunting I went into the woods with me, my bow, and my arrows. Things have changed since then. You'll find a lot of wisdon in what joel the signman says. As you learn how tough you can be, try to pay attention to safety like food(emergency), lighting, communication etc...the rest of the stuff like scents and calls, binoculars, and range finders are nice gadgets. I even have to thing called a booger that when attached to a string can be dropped on items like a release or an arrow so you don't have to climb down ad get it. My peak of the rutt pack is pretty big and I still can't get everything in it I'd like, but I'm warm and safe. :bag:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Myself I do not bring a whole lot. Something to drink,peanut butter crackers(unwrapped),breakfast or power bars are good to. Hand warmers and maybe an extra pair of gloves or hat if there is weather. Good Luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
i like to bring plenty of drink and food to stay hydrated,that also means the pee jug,depending on forcast that could change the whole get up.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I'm not much of a muncher on stand so most of what I pack are hunting items. I use a medium sized fanny pack, extra batteries & flashlight, hand warmers, scents, drag rope, gloves, calls, face mask, electrician's tape= handy to secure most things.

G

·
drag, scent killer, drink bottle, pee bottle (different color), energy bar, small first aid kit with basic survival stuff, light rain gear (if I'm not wearing rain gear), knife, headlamp, small flashlight, rattle bag (when time time is right), calls, electrical tape, extra haul line, harness, maybe heavier gloves. I should get a inexpensive camera.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I usually carry all that I can fit in my waist belt pack. I have flashlight w/ extra bats, my two way radio, knife w/ a pack of surigcal gloves, Water and snack, grunt call, range finder,rattle bag, and a travel pack of kenex for the call of nature if need be. Then whatever else I think I might need for that day.

·
Registered
790 Posts
For bowhunting: 2 Flashlights, 2 releases, 2 screw in hooks, 2 deer calls (buck/doe),snacks, 2 drinks, pee bottle (large), lighter, 2 knives, saw, pruners, tree tacks, 2 pull strings, cell phone, feild dressing gloves, scent killer spray, deer scent w/drag (Maniac 150), gloves, face mask, thermo cell (early season), allen key set, hand wipes, elec. tape, whistle, binocs, range finder, and from time to time a GPS.:yes: don't usually carry first aid with me because with everything else I can make something work but it is not a bad idea. don't usually carry a deer drag either because I'm getting older and smarter so I carry all of my stuff back to the truck and get my deer cart or Polaris and to heck with that dragging stuff, don't usually carry rain gear unless very windy or calling for rain. As far as I am concerned all of my main list is a must have.:thumbup:

PS-- I carry a 3rd flash light which is a squeeze light like those used for a key chain that I wear around my neck. You can put it between your teeth for quick hands free light.

G

·
Food wise apples are a good choice (although you might want to keep the crunching to a modest decibel) as are other native fruits. Most deer find apples to be irresistible, so they’re one snack that will work to your advantage.

Keep your energy up with peanut butter sandwiches, which, in addition to giving you a boost, are quiet going in. Water is the drink of choice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts