Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the only good pic I have of this buck. . . and I cannot make up my mind as to how old he is. . . I know he is old, but just how old I don't know. . . how old do you think he is? ? ?:confused:

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are some more pics . . . they are not as good for telling age but they may help. . . :bye:

·
Registered
798 Posts
That's a nice deer, but a tough question. There are so many factors that contribute to antler development, like heredity, amount and quality of available food, etc. I'd even say that what the weather is like in different parts of the country can effect antlers. For example, in states where bucks may barely survive bad winters, their bodies may be so deteriorated that much of the nutrients they eat during the springtime has to go toward rebuilding their bodies instead of growing new antlers. Where I live (southwest Montana), we have good genetics and, even though the winters can be brutal (for humans) there seems to be enough high quality food, and lots of it, so that relatively young bucks (2 1/2 years old) can grow some pretty nice antlers (4x4). Unless you've been watching that deer for several years, and have some idea of how old it might be, I'd guess that in your part of the country, it could be as young as 3 1/2.
Here's a photo of a young buck I shot a couple of years ago. I aged him at 2 1/2. He didn't have a large body, but was in such excellent shape that he sported a fairly nice set of antlers. I can only imagine what he would have looked like in another year or two.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Judging by the body, the drop in the line of the back, and the stocky shoulders, you could probably say that buck is almost definately 3 1/2 , possibly 4 1/2. You can plainly see the difference in the two in the first picture. That is my guess.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
No expert here but I'm going with the older group on the buck. I think he's 4 1/2 at least, due to his sway back, rounded head features, and fully filled out front to back. The body is fully mature, the horns look like the mass is a bit light. However, a darn nice buck!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Okay we've made our guesses, let's wait a little while longer for Ronn, WMI and others to post theirs. Then when you harvest it next season have it aged and see who came closest.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
he has the features of a 3 1/2 to 4yr old

·
Registered
790 Posts
3 1/2----does not have the sag in the gut yet. 4 1/2 will have a more sag, 5 1/2 will have sag and sway in the back, 6 1/2 will appear to have short legs and have the body of a bull so to speak. Nice deer! Also look at good bases but lack of mass.

G

·
He still looks a little race horesy to me, I'd say 3 1/2. He might be 4 1/2 but I'll stick with my first impression which was 3 1/2. nice deer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts