Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hows much abuse can a scope take

i got a t/c triumph and nikon scope and i dropped it from about 4.5 feet do u think it would screw my scope up besides the fact that i would have to resight it in??

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
The trouble sighting in and how the gun fell most likely threw the scope off. Make sure that the reticles are intact. How far off are each shot and is there any pattern to the shot string, all left, right, low ect. If you have a pattern then just adjust the scope to the bullseye. If the pattern is all over the place you may have loose scope rings/mounts and if it were me I'd remove the scope and mounts and reset using a mild setting thread sealant on the screws. Then re-sight the gun in. If that doesn't work then either damage to the barrel and or internal damage to the scope must have occured and would require sending them back for repair/replacement. If your not comfortable doing the work a gun shop can do it and should not cost a fortune to do. Hope this helps, good luck that's a nice package you got there!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey

the first one wit the sighting in thing was before i dropped it i had it at the range and then when got home it dropped on to carpet do u think that would have any damage to it ??

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
If if fell on the scope directly maybe, but because it wouldn't sight in in the first place I think you have something loose on the scope. Check every screw if loose try to tighten each one the same. Just make sure all your loading sequences are the same, same power& charge, same bullet same seating of the bullet ect. The only other thing I can think of your rifle doesn't like the bullet your trying. It would be worth the cost to try something different. There should be someone here thats shooting a t/c like yours to help in that area.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Send the scope back to Nikon, let them check it out for you.
P.S. hurry up and send it before hunting season rolls around.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how do u tell if the reticles are intact like when i look through the scope it look fine but is there some way to see if the reticles are not intact that i dont know of??

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the help

so if they are perpindicular then the scope probally aint broken and just need to be resighted in right?

R

·
0 Posts
just something to think about. but a lot of scopes are gas filled to prevent fogging and help with clarity. If by some quirk a seal let the gas out you may end up with fogging. I think if you are looking for a 100% guarantee that its not broken, and that's something a hunter should know, send it back to Nikon. just my opinion.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks

but if i take it out shooting this friday and it shoots fine then that a forsure way to know it aint broken instead of sending it to nikon and taking 2 months to get it back do u think that is right or there still a chance of something wrong wit it ??

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
I've had my scope get out of wack from being in a gunboot on my 4 wheeler and I do recall having some bone jarring jolts as I was riding so I don't know if I could compare it to a drop but I needed to resight and it is back to what it was "dead on".

R

·
0 Posts
There are 2 choices here. 1) take it out re-sight it in. If it takes, you're are part way there. Then take it out in the rain and cooler temps and see if it fogs up. Or 2) send it back to Nikon. I don't think any one here is going to go out on a limb and tell you it is good to go with out checking things out for themselves. if they did and it fogged up that one time when big boy steps out in front of you, it could make you go that guy said it was good. You need to have the personal confidence in your equipment in order to be the best hunter you can be. That's "personal confidence", yours and yours alone. You need to do whatever it takes to get that confidence. Be it, shoot it a ton in the cold and rain or send it out. That's about the best advise I can give you on this.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
but if i take it out shooting this friday and it shoots fine then that a forsure way to know it aint broken instead of sending it to nikon and taking 2 months to get it back do u think that is right or there still a chance of something wrong wit it ??
If you already had problems trying to Zero it in and wasn't able to, and if you dropped it from about 4.5 feet I would say send it back to Nikon, it shouldn't take any more than a couple weeks to get it back, That's what I would do, then you would know the scope is well tuned and working properly when you do try to sight it in.
OR
Maybe you should give Nikon a call and talk with Customer service, just ask them how long it will take to get it back after they recieve it, you can call them at...

Nikon Film & Sport Optics Technical Support
6am-4pm PST Monday-Friday
1-800-645-6687

Either way, Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks

hey bruce thanks alot for the information i think i will just sned it back and see what they say and i will for sure let u guys know what they say thanks alot for the number and information

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
You're welcome and I'm glad you decided to send it back to let them check it out,
it's better to do it that way than to take it out and shoot it not knowing if it's damged
only to have bullets flying every which way.
Good Luck

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thats for sure

yah i just sent it back they said i should have it back to me withing 2 weeks so plenty of time before huntin season

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
this is a good time to try out your iron sights and the loads in your gun to see if everything else is ship shape:wink:

R

·
0 Posts
most of those co will just send you a new scope. its not really cost effective to spend much time trying to fix one. I had a couple go south on me and thats want they did.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
that neat

really ronn they have just sent u a new scope cause ive only had it for not even a month and iam gonna get the tru optics site to sighted in while iam waiting for my scope to come back or start getting ready for rifle season this is the best forum ive been on and thanks alot for everyones help iam very grateful

1 - 20 of 23 Posts