Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How high is high enough when hunting deer with a bow and/or a gun? I have a stand at about 10' that seemed to be plenty high, given the correct wind. I also have one near 30' that scares me to death and I would not let my son hunt it. And I did spook a deer once from this super high stand that was down wind from me - never saw the deer but heard it snort and bound away.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I have 2 ladder stands that are 15 ft and it's high enough for me. I also have a home-made wooden stand that is 12 ft and that does the trick as well. Just place it in a place where you have a good vantage point and you are well hiden in the tree. 10' should be plenty. Those guys who get up there 20+ ft are trying to get above the scent zone. Not sure if I believe that.... but they claim it works.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
I personally dont ever see a need to go any higher than the 12'-15' foot range.

·
Registered
773 Posts
16 to 18 is where I like to be bow hunting. I believe it does put me above the scent zone, and more out of the common field of view for deer, ( they usually don't walk around the woods looking up, so I feel the higher the less likely they'll catch me moving around up there.) I had a few doe and a spike under my stand a few years ago that were there for ever it seemed and i put down my bow and pulled out my cell phone and took a few pics of them, they never busted me.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I went out hunting one time last year and my neighbor who everyone just calls "crazy" was out hunting, but I didn't know it. When I got into my stand I could see off in the distance on his land something blaze orange high in the tree. I looked at it was him.... about 35+ feet in the tree. I couldn't believe it...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts