Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a rem 870 with a riffled barrel should i add a scope and with a scope how far will it shoot a tight group , we have a local gunsmith that is said to be very good , just dont know what to expect.

·
Registered
790 Posts
100 to 150 yards. The 870 is a great gun but to get it better it will need some trigger work. The rest however is up to you and finding the sabot slug your gun likes best.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there are prob better guns out there , that was what i could afford and really the only thing my local store had at the time , i am short on patience , i used a walmart 12 gauge my first two years , last year when out in the woods i noticed my choke had fallen out so with only one weekend left my local guy let me trade my gun and make payments while i used the gun , did not get a shot but who knew , this year same dealer i just got my first muzzel loader and had a scope installed and sighted in , should i even put a scope on it with a tall mount so i can use the sights or what , i am still learning a lot so very open to suggestions.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a question.Why don't you use your muzzleloader during gun season?You can't use a center fire rifle in Iowa,right?All I'm saying is that my muzzleloader is far more accurate then my slug gun and more accurate at further distances.Just a thought.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i have thought of that but i was told that with the right bullet and a scope this gun would shoot up to 150 , i would rather have a shotgun with three shots rather than having to reload in the stand or woods in crappy weather.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Get some good flat shooting sabot slugs and you can shoot out to 150 pretty good with a rifled barrel. I prefer Hornady SST's but there are other choices such as the new Remington accutips as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that is the brand he said to use , he said shotgun and or muzzel use the same to hunt as you use to sight in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts