Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last discussion got me thinking about one's ability to shoot well. This by far is no bragging as I'm no sniper but shooting fairly accurately has never been a problem for me until late in life as my eyes are causing me problems shooting open sights. There were comments about having a limited number of firearms and being super accurate with them has some merit. However, I know I can grab just about any rifle from the safe and know it's pretty well on target. Every hunt requires prior bench shooting so not I'm saying there's no need to sight-in, just that having several rifles wouldn't be an accuracy problem for me. I think I probably follow the norm on this but am curious as to how you stack up to accurate shooting. Does it come naturally or do you fight the target bull? I seem to get caught shooting for others as they just can't get on target. My son has followed suit and might get the best of me now, not sure. I think I can hold my own still and may have to go to rear peep sights on the flintlocks if I want to continue shooting them. How do you stack up? :crazy:Just wondering and something to discuss.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
i did not want to get into it with the guy in the last thread, but for three years of my life it was my job to be able to kill a man at 300 meters (338 yards) with open sights, in one shot. at that range the front sight post is bigger than the target. imagan what i can do with a scoped out hunting rifle. i once had a guy at work who thought he could teach me a thing or two about shooting, and wanted to show me up at the range. we were going to have a shooting compition, untill he asked me what range i wanted to have the competiton at, and i ansered 1000 yards. now i will be the first to admit im not good with a handgun. my comfortable range with a bow is longer than the range i would take a shot at with my hand gun. i even added laser sights to my .44mag so that i could check my shot before pulling the trigger. but with a rifle i can drive tacks.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always thought the 1" at 100 yds was a good thing for hunters as a standard, probably for the military not so good. I think my Weatherby rifles will do sub 1" groups all day off a bench if I do my part but that's most likely my most accurate rifles. Takes some pretty skilled hands to shoot really well. NH, how many rounds you figure you shot to get to be a great shot, 1000's... were you a good shot before the military training?

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
HM same here I may have a limited supply of weapons but I also can take anyone of them out & be very accurate with them I also end up a lot of times sighting in friends guns I have found I used to struggle w/ targets reason why I started shooting a lot but I found when I ditched the glasses & went to contacts I had improved a ton.
Like I said in earlier threads I just love shooting & for me & may just be me I feel it just as important to shoot my guns to improve my accuracy as much as it is w/ my bow
I know some that can pick up their rifle or bow week before hunting season shoot a couple rounds or arrows put it where they want it & call it good I just want more out of it I like to find out what ammo works best out of my guns & know how my guns are going to respond I actually started a database last month for each gun what brand ammo, grain weight it likes what the conditions outside were what my shooting position was. I just want to see what helps & what I don't need to worry about
this summer I am pushing the .270 to see how far I can keep a 1" -1.5" group
I only have 120 yards in the back yard would like to shoot at least 300
100 yard shot here is long
longest kill for me was about 75 yards most have been 50 or less

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
the thing with the military, is it not realy how many rounds you put down range to get good enugh, its how much time you spend with your rifle. you eat with it, sleep with it, carry it every were you go, it slung over your sholdier when your going to the bathroom. but yes i did send 1,000's opon 1,000's of rounds down range. sorry im runnin late for work, will finish answering your questions when i get home.

·
Registered
602 Posts
For the record, I spent a career in the military and used several different types of weapons there, my own self. Fired expert with each and every one (not hard to do actually). As far as the OP here, I find it very interesting to shoot several different rifles of differing calibers and cartridges on a regular basis. I've killed deer & hogs with over 20 different chamberings in well over 45 different centerfire rifles, plus muzzle loaders and shotguns. During one stretch I once shot 40 consecutive deer with 38 different rifles (over the course of several years).

It's all in what you want or like, I'd say. I think the OP here feels as I do, if you can shoot a .270 accurately, likely you can shoot a .300 WM or 45-70 accurately as well. If you don't have a need or want to, then so be it, fine with me. Personally, I totally enjoy dragging several different rifles to the range and sighting them in as needed. I also regularly have friends who have shot with me ask me to sight in a rifle for them. With that type of additional experience, I can't see where that would make me less likely to shoot any or all of them well as the next fella. :confused:

·
Registered
852 Posts
Some people just can't shoot

I have worked as a Range Officer on many hunter sight-in days. On these days the public is welcome on the range for a small fee and alot of people take us up on it. Some shooters are the take it out of the case fire two rounds into the 10 ring and case it up. Others shoot box after box, and are not doing much damage to the paper `they are missing the large 6 inch bull with every shot`. It is hard to watch as they in some cases get madder and madder at their lack of accuracy. I have in some cases asked to fire two rounds from their rifle. Only twice have I had the rounds not grouped together somewhere on the target. One was a bad scope mount setup, the other was a bad scope. Most people will take advice without offense, others are pissed that shooting isn't as easy as it looks in the movies.

Karl

·
Registered
820 Posts
With a long gun I'd say I'm a pretty good shot. I can keep any of my scoped centerfire rifles at an inch or under at 100 yards. I shoot iron sighted rifles as good as the sights will let me. I just recently bought my first handgun so I've been practicing with that as much as I can because I definitely need the practice.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
other than my Ruger single six 22, most of my pistol shooting is spraying around the target. I've never had a passion for pistol shooting. I think shooting flintlock rifles really well takes considerable practice and marksmanship skills. I've watched flintlock shooters do things that high power scoped shooters couldn't do. I think some people have a knack for accuracy and practice keeps them that way. Maybe DHC needs to have a shoot-in and see who takes best shot title! Us old guys would need to shoot the handicap division or get points for age. :ph34r: Then again maybe we'd show the young-ins how to really shoot. I'll take Turner, Karl, Muley on my team! Tator you better get a good team together.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
HM NO FAIR your going to stick me with Tator
haha that would be fun
Tator don't worry I think we can win I will bust out the cannon we shoot on the fourth of July
there won't be any targets left for HM's team to shoot

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
the key to any accurate shooting is learning how to squeeze and breathe and let the shot surprise you.snipers are 1000% locked on their target consciously while there squeeze is subconsciously done.meaning there so focused on there target they dont know when the shot breaks.learning these techniques with gun or bow will greatly enhance anyones shooting ability.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Fun shoot challenge, here goes

Sense many of the loyal members of this group haven't figured out the only State worth living in is Minnesota I have an idea.. With spring breaking out all over the country head to your local shooting site. Fire a group of 3 shots at 100 yards or 100 meters if you don't have access to a 100 yard range. Do it with the rifle you will be hunting deer with this year. Those that have to use shotguns and have access to a rifle can subsitute a rifle for this challenge. You are allowed to shoot from a bench with the rifle sitting on sandbags.

Now the hard part.. Draw a line between each bullet hole.. This will make a triange on the target. Pick a point in the middle of this triange and then measure to the farthest bullet hole center. This distance times two is your group size. A caliper will measure this the easiest but use a ruler if you don't have one.

I will play fair and not use the Win M70 Featherweight my son stole from me. Besides this way I already have an excuse.

I will start the thread for us to post our group size, make sure to share what type of rifle and its caliber with us.

Ok boys and girls let's burn some powder...

Karl

·
Registered
773 Posts
Well I'm one of them that really only shoot around hunting season and a very little during the off season. But I can still keep a 1" grouping at 100 yards although here in ky 50 to 60 yard shots are about max shots around here, I would shoot more in the off season but between the lack of places to shoot and the cost of shells, I pull out of the cabinet about a month before deer season and fire a bout 8 shots to make sure scope didn't get knocked around or something, and same with shotgun before turkey season too. As far as hand gun, got one hardly ever get it out. It's sole presence is for a home protection and I can say the few times we do pull it out for the distance it would be used anyone in this house can group it in at least a 6" pattern.

·
Registered
824 Posts
other than my Ruger single six 22, most of my pistol shooting is spraying around the target. I've never had a passion for pistol shooting. I think shooting flintlock rifles really well takes considerable practice and marksmanship skills. I've watched flintlock shooters do things that high power scoped shooters couldn't do. I think some people have a knack for accuracy and practice keeps them that way. Maybe DHC needs to have a shoot-in and see who takes best shot title! Us old guys would need to shoot the handicap division or get points for age. :ph34r: Then again maybe we'd show the young-ins how to really shoot. I'll take Turner, Karl, Muley on my team! Tator you better get a good team together.
Us old guys would need to shoot the handicap division or get points for age.

Hey, I'll second that!!! :ibtl:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
ok now for a deeper explanation to HM about military shooting Vs. Civilain shooting. it realy is a diferent game. the only time your realy focused on shot grouping is on the Zeroing range. at the Zeroing range you are shooting at 25 meters at a target that is shrunck down to apear the size of what the E type silouet ( target in the shape and size of a mans upper body) would look like at 300 meters. basicly at this range you need a 1" shot grouping at 25 meters. then from there you go the the qualification range. at the qualification range there is no such thing as shot gouping, there are only hits and misses. you are given 20 rounds to shoot out of a fox hole at targets that pop up at 50m, 100m, 150m, 200m, 250m, and 300m. the 50m target is just the head and sholdiers of the target and pops up for only 3 seconds. the rest are the full E type siouets and stay up slighly longer as the distance gets frether. if i remember correctly, the 300m target stays up for 7 seconds. so basicly you have 7 sec to see that the 300m target has poped up, get on target, get your breathing patern right, and squize the trigger. and as soon as your done your looking for the next target. then its 20 more rounds of the same thing only your in the prone position insted of being in the foxhole. the exeptible standerd is 23 hits out of 40 shots. sharp shooter is 32-36 hits per 40 shots, and expert is 37- 40 out of 40. 23-31 may be fine if your not a grunt, but if your a grunt you better get atleast sharp shooter or your gona pay for it when you get home from the range. so its not realy about takeing all the time you want and getting 1 inch shot groups, its about getting on target and hitting your target fast. as for how good i was going into it. in basic it took me more rounds than i care to admit to get my first Zero, and i only got like 24 or 25 out of 40 in my first qualification. withing a few trips to the range with my permanant duty assignment i could Zero in 1 or 2, 3 round shot groups depending on if my sights were one the first time, and consistantly shoot within the sharp shooter range. and yes ajusting to taking my time and driveing tacks did take time.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
I used to be an extreme type shooter always pushing myself for superior accuracy.
I qualified as an expert in the military which prompted many years of shooting.
Years ago I was told, When a person sights in a rifle for hunting it's acceptable to be able to hit a 100 yard target within a 6" shot group.,
I figured I could do a lot better than that so for me, If I wasn't hitting 2 out of 3 thumb tacks at 100 yards I wasn't happy.,
Now that was many years ago with a much younger mans eyesight but even today I'm strict on myself when it comes to shooting accuracy.

many guys are okay with shooting 1" high at 100 yards and that really is fine shooting but personally I wouldn't ever let myself settle on that.

·
Registered
602 Posts
i am a pretty good shot. Navy qualified sharpshooter. Rifle and pistol. might take part in this. will have to try and get over to the range. Will probably use the ol' Ruger M77 .270 . Groups very well. But, i sight mine in 1 1/4 " high at 100 yds. puts it right on a 200 yds. just judging groups?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Congrats on getting out to the range

What kind of rifle is the 25-06? Your .223/5.56 is grouping very nicely. I would stay with the 25-06 for Deer hunting this year. The deer won't know the difference in the group size, but the 25-06 is going to hit a lot harder.

Karl

1 - 20 of 20 Posts