Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started deer hunting this year, an have a few questions for those of you, who are seasoned in the sport, so that I can hopefully be ready for next year. This is my question, I live in south georgia an the land I have to hunt on, is all planted pine's with the excepsion of a few swampy areas. The land is pretty much covered with pine straw, so it is very hard to find any tracks an the ones that you are able to find, well you can't realy tell how old they are. The only thing that I do know, is that these deer bed down in the thick swamps, but being there is now food plots or acorns I can't realy tell what their feeding on, an baiting is not allowed in GA, so can any one help?

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Welcome to the site thomas. Thick swamps are usually a great hide out for deer. Try not to venture into the swamp because you risk running the deer out of the area. You may want to wait until your season is done and over with before you scout. If possible try finding a good trail between food and bed, possibly acorns because they are pretty much a preferred food for deer especially when the temps drop.

G

·
a book can and have been written on just scouting. scouting is quite involved and takes a long time to gather all the info and then figure out how the deer are using what you find.

a deer needs 3 things food, water, and cover. you need to find these things and figure out how they relate. the swamp is good cover and has some food sources in it, so thats a good start. now work out from there finding the main food sources. oaks, crops, beech trees, orchards, green fields are good sources of food. keep in mind that these sources are used at different times of the year.

a great book to read is "precision bowhunting" by john and chris eberhart.

·
Registered
602 Posts
where in georgia you hunt. i hunt Randolph Cnty. my scouting is mostly done during the summer. looking for trails. i also keep feeders going (not within 200 yds of stands though) i will scout alittle during the season, because patterns will change. from summer to fall, to winter. best bet is to find feeding areas. in s. georgia, if you have any hardwood bottoms with oaks that is usually prime. Cameras will help you out alot. i place about 5-8 cameras during the summer into fall. on what i think might be travel routes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are no acorns

I don't plan to scout for a while, as I no conditions will change between now an next season, but the problem that I'm having is I can't seem to find a food source, because there are no acorns, food plots, or any kind of farming fields around. I live in clinch county GA, which is all timber land and borders the Okefenokee swamp. Most people here bait deer ( guy next door kills 10 a year like that ) an I have done that in order to set up a cameria an see what I have on the property ( bought wild game Ir4 worked 4 days then quite taking pictures ) the deer came in like cows all times of the day either they like corn or have nothing else to eat. I know that I could kill one over the corn pile, but would like to know how to do this the honest way, with out chancing wardens on me. Like I said their are know food sources that I can locate being their are know oak tree's, food plots or farming around, just planted pines an swamps. What else could I look for, all information is greatly apprecaited, thanks for the warm welcome.

G

·
do it legal or its like getting a great grade on a test you cheated on. it don't mean a thing.

deer will travel a long long way to fulfill their needs, miles if they have to. start scouting now. you will find rut sign that will help you next year plus those food sources may be visible. i scout year around making metal notes, paper will work also. what trees or plants in the swamp will the deer eat, figure that out, by asking fish and game. its also a good idea to get to know your local officer. get waders or a boat to scout the swamp. deer will find that high spot that they can bed in when the pressure is on. find the trails going in and out of the swamp and start there. but get that book and read it. you'll get all kinds of ideas to apply in your area.

·
Registered
602 Posts
no food sources. huh. my suggestion would be to keep a feeder going through the summer. and during hunting season. just keep it 200 yrds from any stands. come sept. pick a nice pine row, near your stand. and plant it. oats and rye grow real easy. just rake the pine needles out of the way. scratch the surface up and throw out seed. run over with an atv. oats and rye will grow very easy in the acidic soil around the pines. unless you have access to a disc and tractor, the method i said works well. do it on my place. planting this way usually about 75% of it comes up. if there is no food sources around make one. i know how it is with georgia and feeders. they will let you use them , just can't hunt near them.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Everyone has made great points and the book Ronn speaks of is a great source of tons of info. Scouting is a science that takes years and tons of notes. Scouting is also based on seasonal behaviors and needs of the deer. I have some knowledge of Ga. deer in your area from two great friends/deer hunters I know. Swamps contain honey suckle, green briar, and black oaks or as I call them pin oaks. These will be you primary food sources on your land. Mapping these will be your first job. Next is to find all of the primary travel corridors deer use between food and bedding. Bedding will change from pines in early season to swamp areas in cooler season because of insects and biting flies during warmer months. The other factor with this will be hunting pressure that could speed this along earlier. Deer hate biting insects but hate hunters more. Also knowing your land is important but knowing what is around you on surrounding lands is just as important. I'm not saying trespassing but spend time talking to other property owners and a lot of time on Google Earth.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I would throw in that I would look for rub and scrape lines this will give you an idea on where the bucks like to travel. The deer may be traveling to feeders but you should be able to locate their routes back to their bedding areas. I would guess that the deer woul leave the swamp to get out of the bugs throughout the summer. I would start looking right after your season is over as everything will still look fresh. Look for a trail that you can get into and out of to set up on next season. I would look for any high ground in the swamp and see if you can get a stand into it. The natural food is there you just have to find it.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
like ronn said deer need 3 things, food water and cover. I would encourage you to focus heavily on the areas the deer use for cover those are the areas you'll want to learn the best, remember when a deer is alarmed it doesn't head for it's watering hole or it's food source. Good Luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts