Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bws4440

How many times have other hunters seen deer that just seem to come from nowhere. I know I have, and have finally learned that I was looking at deer but not seeing them. One of the places that I hunt is thick timber, and I was spending days that all I saw was squirrels, or so I thought. I finally started watching the area where I saw a small movement and dissecting each thing I could see. I started to see a leg, or an ear, or an eye, and realized that I had been dismissing deer I should have seen because I was assuming I was seeing a squirrel. It is spooky how easy it is to lose sight of a deer you have seen when you take your eye off of it. You have to watch the area until they move again, and when they have been hunted a few days molasses moves more quickly than a deer when it is sneaking along.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advice its just like all the deer were there for archery but in gun season nothing

·
Registered
20 Posts
The most efficient way I have been able to see deer during rifle season is quite difficult, phyisically and even mentally. Its obvious if you were being shot at repeatedly, you too would run as far as you could and go where you would least expect your enemies to be.

What I am saying is, If I am not seeing deer at the "easy" to hunt spots I go where hardly anyone else has the desire to go. I will go to the gamelands about 30 miles away and hike 2-4 miles up a very steep mountain, early in the morning, still in the dark. Nobody WANTS to hike very long up a mountainside, down the other, and up and down again a few more times. But this is where I find deer, big deer, plentiful deer. It isnt fun dragging a deer for miles, but the pride it gives you is unbelievable. Quartering them out is actually what I do so Im not wasting time and energy on parts that will be thrown away anyways. My GPS, Overnight essentials, survival kit, water purification kit, Browning saw, sharpening stone and 2 knives make the trek with me just for the "What ifs" that are present on these types of hunts, but I also know that if I walk far enough I will find a road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts