Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how cold is too cold to set in the stand? we are on the last weekend of muzzel loader, (sun 19th last day) and we had icey rain mix and the trees have been covered in ice for three days now including the grass and everything else. well i have only been going out in the afternoon and hunting 2 pm till dark wich is 4:45 pm here and even though its been in mid to low 20's it doesnt seem too bad till that last hour after the sun sets and hunting the last remaning daylight. well this morning i desided i was going to hunt the AM so i was in the woods at 4:45 am, almost an hour and a half before light and i tell ya even with hand warmers in my boots and in my gloves and enough clothing on ya sweet just walking in no matter how cold it is, i was COLD to the bone come daylight. well knowing the hot times being the frist hour of daylight and the last hour of daylight and the fact i could no longer set still due to being so cold i did tough out the first hour of light then in the truck i went and was gone.:unsure: now i know i'm going back here in just a few but i'm thinking i'm gonna have to give in on the morning hunt till the ice is gone. still able to bow hunt till jan 17th here so i still have plenty of time. i have already harvested two nice does. one with my bow and other with my muzzel loader the first weekend a month ago. i didnt modern gun this year at all so i was realy hoping to fill one more tag with my muzzy this late muzzy season and hopfully one more with my bow before the end in Jan. but after this morning i'm realy likein the fire place and the computer reading up on DHC post :coffee:

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
as far as the deer are concerned it's never too cold because they have to live in it,,,
One hunters opinion might be, if it's unbearably cold then it might be worth just crawling into a ground blind and use a Mr.Buddy Heater... :w00t:

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
I've been out in the stand when it was close to zero and still have seen and taken deer. Basically, it's a matter of how much you can stand the bitter cold.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it was one degree a few days ago but we didn't have the ice with it. The ice just seem to make it much much cooler. I've harvested many of deer in cold weather even sat still n let 1/2 of snow fall on me last week and that was no were near as cold as the ice out now lol. I would use a heater in a blind but I don't like deer hunting from ground blinds. I bought the ameristep G30 three years ago n have used it turkey hunting only n that has been mabey 10 times in that three years. I prefer stands I have and used for years climbers but the past few years I've taking a big likeing to ladder stands and seem to buy one or two more each year as I like to leave them in my spots year round. Matter fact I'm pulling a buddy stand that I've had in the same tree for 4 years now. I replaced the straps last year n this year I'm replacing all the nuts and bolts. (thinking of going with stainless and just flat black paint um up

·
Registered
94 Posts
our late muzzleloader season is the 1st full weekend in Jan. So it's usually single digits and teens for temps during the days. I have found that dressing down (light) until you get to your stand/blind seems to help, you avoid sweating, which is probably the real reason you got so cold so quick. I work outside year round and that is a trick we stick to. Dress "just" warm enough for comfort but not too heavy that you start sweating

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
actually, it's been my experience that sun-up is the coldest time of day for some reason. Right when the sun pops up, the temp DROPS... at least here in MO.

Deer will get up and move when it gets REALLY cold. They try to get into the sun if they can, but in secluded places. I've seen deer out and about when it's close to 0 outside...

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mabey im the only one getting soft in my older age of 35 lol caz im not talking about the deer they are out all the time although their smart enough to hunker down or stay up on their feet movin to keep body temp up. im talkin bout me myself wearing thermals, two pairs of sweet paints, a thermal top with a jacket, dubble socks with hand warmers on top of toes all wraped up in full insulated coveralls wearing thick gloves with hand warmers in them and can walk 200 yards (without breaking a sweet)to my stand. and set for 5 hours straight but after bout 3 hours and all that clothing starts cooling im getting cold, but it seems to be worse in the dark like this morning going in hour and a half before light by the time it was light ,I was cold as hell to the point i couldnt set still (wasnt shivering or anything but was just so uncomfertly cold i was figgity and couldnt sit still. if i would had been able to get up and walk arould the tree a few times i'd been fine to had got my blood pumping. but all that has only been a issue for the past three days with everything coverd in ice its like im walking into the freezer and sitting on an ice cube for hours. guess its just me. well guess its like the old saying said :bag:( if ya cant run with the big dogs stay on the porch):bag: well this morning i tucked my tail and got back up on the porch:bag:

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Well for me, my neck is something I make sure I keep warm. I could have 5 layers of clothes on (the high priced stuff even though I don't wear it) and if my neck gets cold, I'm done for. My head though, doesn't get that way. I could go out in 0 degrees w/out a hat on and be ok (though I never do). My legs are the same way, BUT sitting on a metal ladder stand makes them get chilly even w/a pad on the seat. I have a really nice fleece neck warmer thing made by REDHEAD that I love. it's about as warm as you can get! It's a lifesaver!

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
Stop you guys are making me feel old
gfdeputy2 almost 40

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
well technically I'm only 35 plus tax, shipping and handling.. :w00t:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Wait a minute, come to think of it, so am I!!!!

Darn it . . . . . 35 . . . . . 53 . . . . . they look so alike.

Did I just tell on myself again???

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
granpa Hunting Man :zzz: lets see add the first row carry over the tens, subtract for good behavior = middle age! :whistling:

·
Registered
134 Posts
come on now i'm 35 and i love the cold i often say i'd like to live some where the temp never goes over 50 the wind is what bugs me . and now that i am 35 your old at 70 years plus

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.