Deer Hunting Forums banner

Hornady sst slugs

5K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  tbighunter 
#1 ·
I have ordered a new fully rifled slug barrel from bass pro for my mossberg 500 with cantilever scope mount.i want to try the sst slugs.please give me some advice.i've never slug hunted,and can't wait for the chance.also.i'm thinking of either a bushnell 3200 3x9 or a simmons aetec for the scope.

G
#2 ·
i don't know a thing about slug guns. i have 2 old simmons atecs and love them. thats why i got a third for my 338 win mag last year. the new one was junk. didn't feel the same. didn't seem to be as well built. turns out it wasn't. 3 shots and it crumbled.

#4 ·
I hate to hear that the new aetecs are junk.i'm waiting on one to be delivered.as far as sabots in a slug gun,i believe the sst's are in a sabot.i've taken deer with bow,rifle,muzzle loader,and pistol,but not with a shotgun.i can't wait to try.i'm just looking for info about slug hunting.the new slugs are pricey.i'm just trying to decide which ones to try.

#6 ·
I have used the sst's for a few years and loved them but again they are expencive to shoot.i have tried just about every slug out there in my reminton 1100 and these slugs worked best for me.i had got just under 2in grpups at 100yrds.which isn't to bad for a shotgun!these slugs are the fastest and most accurate in my slug gun.but every slug gun shoots different.i hear the lightfield slugs shoot very well to you might want to check those out.

#8 ·
well, i'm off to academy in joplin to buy some sst's.i may buy another brand also to try.i'm afraid it's going to be costly just to get the gun sighted in.
you could allways get just a cheap box of sabot slugs just to get you on the paper?i don't know how true this is but i heard if you site your gun in at 25yrds it will be dead on at 100yrds?does anybody know if this is true?

#10 ·
Well everywhere i went in joplin,did not have the sst's.so i will order them.and that's a good idea,i will use some cheaper slugs to get on paper.if not,i'm afraid it will cost 50.00 or more to get dialed in.but,i do shoot from a rest,and i'm ordering a remote trigger release to take some of the pain and human error out of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.