Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
interesting, my only concern would be the modification of the existing nocks. the last thing anyone needs is the premature failure of a nock during the firing of their bow. is the potential dry-fire worth the cost of some cheaper illuminated nocks?

Its a great effort none the less. I think retail illuminated nocks are way over priced and will be till someone comes out with a competitively priced product.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Essentially what you are doing is taking normal nocks and just adding the fishing light to the inside. As long as the nock is see thru, it can be used, regardless of the brand name. There were guys that were using their Easton nocks and making these. so as far as I can tell there is no compromise of the nock or arrow. My arrows shoot no differently than they did before.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have been giving the video some consideration. The thing that I dislike most about the construction is the gluing of the arrow shaft. I am considering a different approach with the same end result.
my yet untested theory is that the battery/light can be glued into the nock as in the video, but no hole needs to be drilled and no insert glued into the shaft. I believe that the inertia of the shaft driving forward is enough to activate the battery that is glued solidly into the nock. the nock can be removed as usual and deactivated and you gain the nock alignment to the cock feather at any time. I picked up 3 thill replacement batteries tonight to experiment with.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with you, I did Not glue anything to the arrow shaft the only gluing that I did was the piece of the old nock to the end of the battery to keep the battery in place. The old nock is tight enough inside the shaft to prevent the battery from sliding in. I also did not glue the light to the new nock either as I wanted to be able to save money and reuse the drilled out nocks. Depending on your arrow size the only drilling that I had to do at all was drilling the 3/32 hole up the middle of the new nock to allow the light to show thru better. I think you will be happy once you have them in and shoot them.

Also, I found it was easier to push the battery halfway into the shaft put the new nock on and actually shoot the arrow at your target. this will seat the light exactly were it needs to be.

to turn it off just take off ur nock and gently pull up on the bulb.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I made a couple the other night. they work fine with the exception , the kinetic energy generated from the veocity of the arrow and the sudden stopping after target impact causes the nock to travel into the arrow shaft several inches. no way to stop this with out gluing the nock to the shaft as right now it is very difficult to slide the nock into position. a push rod is a remedy to extraction and shut off in these occurrences.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts