Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since deer season is over i want to catch some hogs. those suckers have been rooting up and making a mess. i put me out a trap and baited with soured corn with no luck. it is almost like they have stopped moving at all. any advice from some more experienced trappers/hunters

·
Registered
602 Posts
did you just sour corn with water??? if so, try this. sour the corn with water, as you did. but add some grape or strawberry kool-aid or jello mix to it. also can sour corn using some cheap beer. should get the hogs nice and drunk also.

·
Registered
602 Posts
back to trapping--:lol:. put that soured corn out. if they are in the area, they will find it. the stinkier the better. let mine sour down here in the sun for like 2 weeks. when they do find it, open the door on the trap, or gate. and do not set it to trip. let them get comfortable going inside it to get the bait. after a few days , slip back out there and set the trip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
back to trapping--:lol:. put that soured corn out. if they are in the area, they will find it. the stinkier the better. let mine sour down here in the sun for like 2 weeks. when they do find it, open the door on the trap, or gate. and do not set it to trip. let them get comfortable going inside it to get the bait. after a few days , slip back out there and set the trip.
Thanks for the advice, where i soured the corn i did it with water, buttermilk and yeast. the hogs are back for sure, making more of a mess but none are going in the trap. i believe coons are getting in there cause some times the swinging trap door will be closed and there is nothing inside.

·
Registered
602 Posts
have these hogs ever been trapped before and let go??? if so they will be trap shy. hogs are very smart. try some fish guts, or anything rotted that would gag a maggott with the smell. sometimes you have to change it up.

·
Registered
138 Posts
have these hogs ever been trapped before and let go??? if so they will be trap shy. hogs are very smart. try some fish guts, or anything rotted that would gag a maggott with the smell. sometimes you have to change it up.

Check you rules though. AR has a rule that says you can't bait with animal parts i believe

·
Registered
6 Posts
I heard that test show that dogs are good, but the best thing is a big pen with a swinging gate. Leave the gate open for a couple of weeks, when they start coming leave the gate open for 2 or 3 steady nights of them going in there, and then have it set where they all go in and the door shuts. and be sure to check trap daily and kill the ones in there and get them out,the bigger the pen the better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts