Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
i am sure there are plenty of places to go. have a few buddies that trap hogs down here and sell them to the game ranches up north.

·
Registered
602 Posts
need to take a trip down here. hook you up on a southern style hog hunt. All you need is a knife. lol. put the dogs to them hogs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hunting of wild boar or wild hog is not permitted all over the United States. It is confined to just 15 states. The standard states are Kentucky, South Carolina, Arkansas, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, Alabama, Ohio, Florida, Hawaii, Oklahoma and California. Each state has it is own set of hunting laws

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hunting of wild boar or wild hog is not permitted all over the United States. It is confined to just 15 states. The standard states are Kentucky, South Carolina, Arkansas, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, Alabama, Ohio, Florida, Hawaii, Oklahoma and California. Each state has it is own set of hunting laws
I think your list is way incomplete, at least since you've included the term "wild hog" and not simply "wild boar". Two states you failed to mention have very good populations of hogs. First, Tennessee actually differentiates between wild boar and wild hogs in some WMAs, restricting the harvests there. In other areas (most of Tn) the hogs can now be killed 365 days a year, simply by possessing a small game license.

I am fairly sure it is also legal to hunt hogs in Louisiana and most all other states they are located in.

You also failed to mention Texas, which likely has the highest hog population of any state. The state of New York has also opened a 365 day season recently after finding pockets of wild hogs.

QUOTE:
What You Can Do

As stated above, DEC's goal is to eradicate feral swine from the state's landscape. In New York, people with a small game license may shoot and keep feral swine at any time and in any number. All other hunting laws and firearms regulations are still in effect when shooting feral swine. If you are in an area that prohibits the use of rifles during big game seasons, you cannot use a rifle to shoot feral swine during any open deer season (including archery seasons). Please remember that it is illegal to discharge a firearm within 500 feet of a school, playground, church, dwelling, farm building, or occupied structure. You need to obtain permission of the landowner to enter any lands you do not own.

If you do shoot or see feral swine please report it to the nearest DEC regional wildlife office or e-mail us. Please report the number of swine seen or killed, whether any of them were piglets, the date, and the exact location (county, town, distance and direction from an intersection, nearest landmark, etc.).

·
Registered
852 Posts
Is there a difference? Boar/Hog

I don't doubt that I am wrong considering they have two seasons but what is different between a wild Boar and a wild Pig/Hog? Is it easy to tell one from the other while you are trying to shoot them? I always read that it is fast and furious when you get close.

Karl

·
Registered
602 Posts
two seasons? wild boar and wild hogs means the same down here. actually a boar would be the Male of the species. we make fun of the yankees that come down and want to go "wild boar" hunting. lol. i believe florida just calls em feral hogs.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Well, all I can tell you is that Tennessee uses the two different "names" and also different seasons for the same general species. Most of Tennessee is now open 365 days a year (newly opened) for the hunting of Feral Hogs. The state has maintained a different name and season for some pockets of wild hogs "Boars" for many years, causing problems with the state's hunters. Read for yourself.

Catoosa is one of the WMAs that held seperate definitions and seasons for wild hogs, calling them wild boars because they had decended from the original European stock imported into N.C & Tn in the early 1900s:

Wild Boar Problems - Topix

SEO - Catoosa WMA Boar Hunting Season Summary

SEO - Tennessee Trying To Outlaw Wild Boar Hunting

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - Feral Hog/Wild Boar

See 2nd paragraph here:
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency

·
Registered
986 Posts
How do they expect anybody to tell the differance? Do a DNA test before you shoot it. A pig is a pig,there aint any feral hog with a pure blood line,thats why you will see black,brown,red,spotted hogs.Some say the black ones or pure but you can take a black breeding pair and get colored pigs from them.There blood line is all mixed up.there aint no true anything in feral hogs

·
Registered
602 Posts
How do they expect anybody to tell the differance? Do a DNA test before you shoot it. A pig is a pig,there aint any feral hog with a pure blood line,thats why you will see black,brown,red,spotted hogs.Some say the black ones or pure but you can take a black breeding pair and get colored pigs from them.There blood line is all mixed up.there aint no true anything in feral hogs
What they are doing is even dumber, IMO. They are simply using specific areas to differentiate between the two. It was actually posted, prior to the changes two months ago, in a very distinctly different manner, showing both terms in the hunting regs and explaining that if you shot a pig in one of a couple WMAs in eastern Tn it was called a Wild Boar and they had special seasons for them there, normally coinciding with deer seasons.

They have begun to wise up some now and seem to be getting very concerned with the spread of hogs throughout the state.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.