Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so iam 13 i dont have a dad so i get everthing by myself should i go get a cheap trail camaer for like 35$ or so or wait get two cheap ones or save up and get one nice one hmmm :thumbup:

·
Registered
185 Posts
i bought the 2 cheapest wally world sold and i get decent results. one is a bushnell the other is a tasco. they take pics all the time and video only in daylight hours. both have flash but no infrared. serves my needs.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
If I were on a tight budget I would have trail cams way down on my priority list. They are OK but, imho, scouting the old fashion way with boots on the ground is a whole lot more effective. Just my opinion.

·
Administrator
5,711 Posts
If I were on a tight budget I would have trail cams way down on my priority list. They are OK but, imho, scouting the old fashion way with boots on the ground is a whole lot more effective. Just my opinion.
I agree with buckshot, trail cams are great tools but they can only monitor one spot, Scouting the old fashioned way will give you more experience and a better understanding as to what's really going on in the woods.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just went out and did so i found some realy big fresh doe tracks i mean big then in the back of the woods i found some old ok buck tracks :wacko: and i hmmm i forget there is two one is like a rube on a tree then one was on the ground well i only saw the one on the ground thats it but i dont no if i spoked the big doe and it went out or what and its not like iam a super good tracker so i think iam just going to save and wait to and see then but if u guys have any ideas tell it can only help

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
OK, sounds like you have found a trail with a scrape and a rub, good sign, now look at the weather and see which way the wind is blowing and set your self up downwind of that trail. And sit there until a deer comes by that you can legaly shoot.

Good luck and don't forget to take pictures of that big buck when you get him.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
actually those are due (spell) claws that are more pronounced with a heavy deer simply due to weight. The old rule was a pointed toe most likely was a doe and a rounded splayed toe represented a buck. Very hard to tell though. I thought maybe you have a sure fire way to tell! I never hunt tracks, some do but not me.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
i agree that the cam would be low on my prioritys list, but when you get one, id get a good one. i bought one of them cheepies at wally world, and when ever it did take a pic, the deer that had triggered it was already out of the pic, so all i was looking at were woods. now it just sits at home wile my nice camera is out working in the woods.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
q. what dose it mean when it says like urban archrey
Urban archery is what a lot of city hunters have gone to. There are a lot of big bucks that hang around the suburbs of big cities and the typical home owner does not want big bore rifles firing off in the subdivision at 7:00 am on Sat morning. Some guys I know hunt these bucks with archery equipment.

·
Premium Member
3,347 Posts
I agree with all but if you do decide to get a trail camera stay away from WildGame innovations they are cheap but they are junk you can read the reviews here on DHC under the hunting gear tab
good luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.