Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wacko:i have no idea what would be the most affective deer hunting rifle for a 12 year old boy i have a whole farm with wide open spaces i can shoot on and has hardly any trees and a huge forest on the back of that and all the deer come out in to the paddocks to eat the grass (which makes the owner of the farm so angry:mad:) so he lets we shoot all the deer i want.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
like bruce said in another one of your threads if your going to be shooting in wide open spaces i would definitly look at the .270. you can get some distance out of those and it is a good flat shooting gun.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You will need shoulder replacement for it is over.Just kiddin. My dad has one and i hate it. A 243 is the best flat shooting gun for hunting fields but you do not want any part of it in the woods.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would be thinkin just the opposite.I use my daughters 243 in the woods all the time but if I was hunting the open spaces I'd choose the wife's flatter shooting and harder hitting 270.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I use the 7mm but for a young hunter that might not be the best choice. When I started hunting at age 12 I used my Dads .308 He had two of them, one for him and one for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don't think that it matters whether it's a 308, 7MM Mag, 270, 30-06 or any others. What really makes the difference is being a goo d marksman with whatever kind of rifle that you shoot. Shot placement is critical to keeping that big buck there. Practice and remember to Squeeze The Trigger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
huh?

I would be thinkin just the opposite.I use my daughters 243 in the woods all the time but if I was hunting the open spaces I'd choose the wife's flatter shooting and harder hitting 270.

Holdddd on, your wife and your daughter have deer rifles that you use, but you dont mention owning one yourself... i hope this isnt implying that you dont own a deer rifle!
nah, im sure you do, im just messing with ya, but about the question.. any of the choices mentioned would work. Your going to put so much time into thinking about this when it all amouts to the split second in which the bullet hits the deer. As long as when the bullet hits the deer, it doesnt matter which of these calibers you choose.. personally i would go with one that you know will remain popular and ammo stays abundent. The 308. seems to fit this bill

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
deerhunter22 i think you got michael confused with rockman. rockman owns plenty of guns. michael is the one searching for guns. he is about 12 yrs old so i dont think he has a wife yet. though he does live in new zealand. maybe they marry younger than us

·
Registered
4 Posts
For a young fellow, or anyone for that matter, you can not a 260 REM. Low recoil, accurate as you can get and and with the correct loads you can go up to elk. Same holds for the 6.5x55.

As you can see, I am new here...Hello to all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I started out around the age of nine with a Ruger .223 (Mini 14). With the right scope and quality marksmanship, it will down a deer with no problem. Knockdown power is fair due to low grain bullets, but it has barely any recoil at all and has exceptional range.
When I got older (about 12 y/o), I moved up to a Remington Model 700 .25-06. This caliber is flat shooting, has plenty of knockdown power and carries good range. Hornady makes a 117 grain bullet for this caliber and I have found it to shoot the best.
Of course you could always go with the classic .30-30. It has a little more recoil and less range, but my sister used one when she was 14 y/o so it can't be that bad on a youth.
Good luck with your choice and in the field!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts