Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new to the forum
help me out i hunt in maimi county ks i saw alot of deer on opening day of rifle and now three days later nothin for two days is it me or the rut or the weather i got no ideas

thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm new also, but I will chime in.

I only have experience in Upstate NY, but opening day is a pretty exciting time to be in the woods. The influx of hunters really get deer moving. They catch on pretty quick though. I'm not sure what kind of pressure your area gets but the deer may be in shock from all the flying lead a couple days ago. What kind of hunting are you doing? Stand hunting, still hunting, organized pushes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there some presure from hunting there were probilly a dozen shots all day from what i can here and i was siting, standing and in a tree but i really cant do a push because of other hunters whats opening day like up there

·
Registered
18 Posts
there some presure from hunting there were probilly a dozen shots all day from what i can here and i was siting, standing and in a tree but i really cant do a push because of other hunters whats opening day like up there
This year was pretty quite, but I have hunted opening days that sounded like a third world war with deer running in every direction most of the day.
I mostly hunt from a tree stand and sit till noon if my schedule allows it. If you can outlast the other hunters in your area, there’s a good chance they might send some deer your way when they get up and move around. Thanksgiving was cold and I had my six year old with me. We went to corner store for hot cocoa at 8:00 and I could not believe the amount of hunters out of the woods already.

Hunting a couple days without seeing deer can seem like an eternity. How long is your season?

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
huntin7... There could be alot of factors with not seeing any deer. First could be that you saw so many opening morning because opening morning is ALWAYS the busiest day of hunting. There are more hunters in the field/woods than any other time of year. So therefore, the deer get pushed and they are up moving more.

Secondly, It could be your style of hunting and where you're hunting. Your question is kinda hard to answer because I don't know these two things. If you are hunting in a stand, you may need to wait it out a little longer than you have been. Remember, during the rut, deer move CONSTANTLY. Plus, they have ears too, they know that the shooting typically dies down around mid-day. That's a good time to go out hunting, I have found.

Thirdly, Stick with it... I can't tell you how many times I've been out hunting and haven't see a dang thing at ALL. Many more times than the ones where I have seen deer. I would guess, for me, that I see deer about 1 out of every 5 times of hunting. Don't get frustrated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my season is dec1 thru the 12 and i get a doe season jan 1 thru the 9 and it was so exciting to see a bunch of deer when i really worked for this one i walk mile after mile scouting and sitting watching them move all thur the summer and fall and i picked the perfect. spot so i thought! i guest am frustrated i guess maybe i putting to much thought in to it but their there i know they r and some r mounters dam the luck

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know the feeling! Our season here is split. Gun season takes a two week break then resumes for a lil longer. I had scouted and watched our spot and seen deer every time, but come time to hunt never saw a single one. I guess that's just how it goes sometimes. They are there it's just catching them at just the right time I reckon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
do any of the atractors really work like the ones u put with corn or feed u no like those powder or gels not the piss stuff i got that figure got when i put my pee mix out they go crazy ive seen it in action but no help lately

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
just regular corn should be fine. I buy apple corn with the 40 lbs bags get around $5... anything more than that they aren't worth it. you can go to your local MFA and buy a busel of corn for around $6 and that's 56 lbs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts