Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having an issue with my shotgun and dont know what it could be. today i went shooting to sight in and just have a good time. the .270 zeroed well, but i had issues with the shotgun all day. id shoot, get a good grooping, but not on target. move the scope, shoot again, and get another good grooping but not were i expected it to be. i spent about 30 shots chasing the groops around the target. then i took a break, and drove 1/2 way home and stoped in at another range. took 3 shots, got another good grooping about 3 in under the bullseye. then figured id do one more groop of 3 just to varrify, and again got another good grooping, but this time about 15 inches below the groop i had just shot. (and i did not make any adjustments) what could be going wrong?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just checked them. the screws that hold the rings to the base were tight enuff that i could not move them by hand, but i did not exactly have to fight to twist them tighter with the screw driver. anything elce i should look at?

·
Registered
9 Posts
bad shoootin

if your mount and rings are tight and ammo good and your using a bench rest and holding solid on target then your scope is no good even the best scopes sometimes break and any thing labeled a shotgun scope is usually junk get a 2-7 x luepold and be done with your problem and if you have a rifled 20 barrell try a federal barnes 3 in sabot you wont be dissapointed ,good luck but i think its broke replace scope

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if your mount and rings are tight and ammo good and your using a bench rest and holding solid on target then your scope is no good even the best scopes sometimes break and any thing labeled a shotgun scope is usually junk get a 2-7 x luepold and be done with your problem and if you have a rifled 20 barrell try a federal barnes 3 in sabot you wont be dissapointed ,good luck but i think its broke replace scope
ya i stoped in at a local gun shop and talked to him about what was happening. he told me when i get a chance to, bring in the scope for him to look at, that it was probably junk now. and that even the best scopes can break.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Most likely the scope failed if all else is tight. I assume you used the same ammo for all shots. I had a Tasco world class scope fail on my TC FireHawk last fall. The shots were all over the place on a ML that would group 1" at 100 yds prior. Good luck on the problem

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
problem not solved yet, but taken care of, and ill deal with solving it later. i bought a new 12 ga today. one of my best spots is in a shotgun only area. i wasent going to try to hunt with this set up till i got the problem solved. and it being a 20ga made buckshot not an option. so i bought the 12 ga and some double oot buck. to get me out in the woods in my best spot. and ill deal with the scope set up when i get the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.