Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not sure what i should look for here? should i look for a 120 pound cross bow or a compound bow, dont forget im only 13 so most of you guys are experts at this so just wondering?

·
Registered
51 Posts
At your age, i dont really know if youll be able to effectivly use a bow capable of killing a deer... and i dont recommend crossbows at your age either... what do your parents think?

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
All right so your 13. Now you got to tell us how big of a 13 yr old you are? I think if you can pull back a 50 pd compund bow pretty easy you would have no problem killing a deer. As far as the difference between a compound or crossbow. I own a compound i am just assuming this. I think a crossbow would be quicker and easier to get accurate with. A compund would take a little more work and effort on your part. Alot of practice time before you ever take it in the woods. The compound is more challenging thats why alot of hunters choose it over the crossbow.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I dont know buckfever, you really think a 13 year old could draw a 50 pounds?
i remember having a hard time benchpressing that at that age! but if you can, by all means hunt with it!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys i know about the practice i shoot with my uncles crossbow all the time and 50 pounds is a bit much right now i can pull it but im so focused on have to pull i shake to much so thanks for the help guys!!!! any ideas on a cheap but good crossbow?

·
Registered
51 Posts
i dont know much about crossbows but have you talked to your uncle about them? i know it sound a little obvious but if he know something about crossbows he can probly help you out
good luck!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya im looking for a 50 pound bow anyway cuz its not hard to pull, i can almost get my dads 70 pound all the way back but it hurt the fingers, so 50 pounds will be good

·
Registered
37 Posts
At your age, i dont really know if youll be able to effectivly use a bow capable of killing a deer... and i dont recommend crossbows at your age either... what do your parents think?
im 13 and am shooting 46 pounds and killed a 113 pound doe last fall. im gonna turn it up to 55 when i get back in shape. i think you are perfectly able to kill a deer with a bow as long as you use a bare minimum of 40 pounds . if you can cock a crossbow, by all means plug away.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I have no problem with a young bowhunter shooting 40-45 lb draw coupled with the right arrow/broadhead combination. Sometimes we get too consumed with wanting a complete passthrough using a 70 lb 330 fps $1000.00 bow. With the right set up he'll do just fine as long as he has help in judging the right shots to take on the animal. I highly reccomend a compound bow, it will in the long run serve you better than a crossbow.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I set my son up with a Hoyt 40-50 pound bow when he was 12. We practiced together a lot which became an after work ritual. He was very good by the time bow season started. He never killed a deer with that bow, but i feel confident he could have if the opportunity ever presented itself. He was actually a little smaller than average at that age. The key is to start now to build up your mussles. Come opening day you'll be ready:bye:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts