Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi am new and have been muzzle loader hunting for 4 or 5 years now I have a T&C Triumph have been shooting pyrodex 50/50 pellets, Hornady 300 grain bullets and Winchester 209 primers tonight getting ready for the hunts I couldn't shoot a pattern to save my life, I would shoot 3 shots and clean gun 3 more and clean, never was there 2 shots that were close to one another. can anyone give me some help?? Thanks.. I even had my brother shoot my gun it wasn't me pulling or anything like that.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Scope?

Iron Sights?

My triumph is just as accurate as anything I shoot with in the woods. I believe the only difference in your load and mine is I use Shockwaves instead of the Hornady.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
In my Triumph I shoot 100 gr Black Horn powder, 250 gr Shock waves and super slide sabots. I don't like pellets in any ML'der. If scoped then the issue could be loose mounts, faulty scope. Iron sights then make sure the barrel is clean no corrosion issues, and change bullet/powder combinations. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 1 power scope on it I will check the mounts. in the barrel it does look like there is some corrosion it there but I bought the gun with the weather shield coating, is that just for the outside of the gun, I have cleaned after every shooting I don't know why it would be rusty?? maybe I will go get some shock wave bullets.

G

·
Hi am new and have been muzzle loader hunting for 4 or 5 years now I have a T&C Triumph have been shooting pyrodex 50/50 pellets, Hornady 300 grain bullets and Winchester 209 primers tonight getting ready for the hunts I couldn't shoot a pattern to save my life, I would shoot 3 shots and clean gun 3 more and clean, never was there 2 shots that were close to one another. can anyone give me some help?? Thanks.. I even had my brother shoot my gun it wasn't me pulling or anything like that.
old pyordex? get new stuff

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help. the stinking scope was loose I tightened it and at 50 yards it is shooting 1 1/2 pattern I ran out of time want to try 150 yards and zero it in tomorrow. my powder is only a year old is that to old??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am wondering if I should spend the money and time on bullets and different powder to see if I get any different results. but I don't think I need I need to get that picky? what do you guys think.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
If its accurate, its accurate. No need to mess with it unless you are just trying to make it perfect accurate. If you dont want to spend the money I wouldnt. As long as you can take a deer comfortably without worrying about injuring it without killing it I would be happy with just accurate.

Thats just my thoughts though. Im not a long range shooter. I spend all my time hunting in the woods where I will hardly ever have a shot over 80 yards.

·
Registered
562 Posts
When I got my new ml last year I bought three different bullets and two different kinds of powder to try. I only found one combination that was not reliably accurate. It seems like some guns are more forgiving than others though. different combos reportedly shoot different in certain guns. If you can't get it dialed in good enough I would try a different bullet. good luck

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
There are some very sound reasons for trying several different bullet/powders/grain loads. First you will know the best load for your rifle giving you all the confindence of knowing your rifle is deadly accurate if you do your part and secondly, it imparts additional range time which translates to more familiairity of your rifle and of your abilities with it. Remember to shoot various yardages to insure you know hold over for those farther shots. I know my spelling is way off tonight hopefully you see some of my points. I highly reccomend Black Horn powder over pellets, next choise would be 777. If I shot 1.5" groups at 50 yds I would want to shoot 1" at 100 yds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome thanks all you guys. I think when I run out of the Pyrodex I am going to buy 777 but I am kinda cheep so I ain't just going to throw away what I have now, my brother shoot 777 and seens too like it. hopefully tomorrow I will have a good pattern at 150. wish I would have had time to shoot that for today had to be a dad and get kids from school.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts